Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Ready to replace stereo but afraid of BCM issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Ready to replace stereo but afraid of BCM issues

Guys and gals, please don't flag this repost, since I am not sure where I would get more results. I also posted in the problems forum. I am looking for advice before starting in on the system.

Please advise,
I have all the parts to replace the factory stereo and install a Aftermarket Pioneer In dash DVD player, new door speakers and a sub and amp. I still plan to use the factory Pioneer amp to power the door speakers, and have the LAN04 adapter for the door chimes and Onstar. After having seen all the electrictal issues regarding the BCM, should I reconsider? I am just afraid that if I start having electric issues the dealer will just blame it on the aftermarket stereo, even though the only place there will be any cutting or splicing the factory wires will be at the speakers. A few days ago I thought I saw a flicker in the factory stereo out of the side of my eye, but it was daytime, and I may have just seen the radio station information change, making me think it was a flicker. My car is a 2008 SS that I picked up used with 31k on the odometer back a month ago. I purchased a extended warranty, and had the open recalls completed and have already had the factory boost gauge replaced twice. Lucky for me the service manager I am working with is a cool person, but if they see a aftermarket stereo in the car I am afraid I may be sol?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 PM

The only connections between the radio(present & future), and the BCM is power and the Low Speed GM LAN (or CAN). The manufactured of the LAN04 I would hope has taken care of the Data interface between the GM LAN and the LAN04 to eliminate or lessen any problems.

Lots and lots of people replace their radios in such a manner. The only warrantee I would think would be suspended is the warrantee on the missing Factory Radio and Amplifier. Don't expect the Dealer to attend to your audio needs in the future - that is all. IMHO
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

I've had a Pioneer Nav in mine for over a year with no problems
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 AM

What Sno White said is true. An extreme example would be that the dealr could not blame a TPS issue on your replacing your audio equipment unless they can somehow "prove" it caused the issue (which they would of course not be able to do) however like Sno White also said your factory audio system would most likely not be covered anymore. But who cares.....you're pulling it anyway right!