Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New Owner, now afraid

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

New Owner, now afraid

Hello all,
This is my first post. (i didn't see an indrodution sub forum)
This past Thursday I traded in my 2000 Firebird in for a 2006 orange HHR LT.
I've been in love with this vehicle ever since I saw it on the road a year ago. Between the styling, and the gas mileage I was in mental car heaven.

Now I did some research before purchasing this vehicle, and found no recalls, or major problems. (for some reason this site didn't come up on google when I searched HHR problems, or recalls)

Well on last Saturday morning I went to start my HHR and take off to my local laundry mat to do my laundry. (i live in an apartment)
It was pretty cold out so I used the remote start, then about 8 minutes later went out to my HHR to take off to do my laundry. I pressed the brake pedal down and went to put it in reverse to back out of my parking space and the brake light went on, then off immediately. I tested the brakes and felt that they were ok - so I went to do laundry with no issues.

Monday and Tuesday I had no problems. This morning I warmed up my HHR for work, and had no issues. (i wake up at 4 a.m. for work) When I got out of work I AGAIN went to reverse out of my parking space to head home and the light went on again, although this time there was a message on my dash stating low fluid. (the light turned off immediately after) So I drove home and opened the hood to check my fluid levels. I have more than enough brake fluid, so I have no clue to why this light has come on.

I did a search in google for "HHR brake fluid DIC" and I came across this site. I started reading the trouble forums, and now I am scared out of my mind of this vehicle. It seems people are having numerous problems with this vehicle, whether it is engine, brakes, paint chipping, transmission, not getting the gas mileage expected, etc.

Now, I just purchased my HHR and I am stuck with it for the next 5 years and I financed it, and I am in fear of buying a vehicle that will nickel and dime me to death.

Now, I have ready through 11 pages of the "trouble forums" and noticed that GM thinks this problem is a joke and is a "weather issue". Now my HHR stops without a problem, but I am worried in case this is not just a simple weather condition.

Here is my problem. I don't trust dealership mechanics. The amount of hours I work (50+ a week) I don't really have time to get to a mechanic, let alone one that will allow me to get a free loaner vehicle until the weekend.
My 2006 HHR is still under the GM Manufacturer's warranty, and I also purchased a 2 year extension.
Does the GM warranty warrant a free loaner vehicle?
Also if it does, is it dealer specific?

I love my HHR, but now I feel like I made a $10,000 mistake. Please tell me that I am wrong, and that I have nothing to worry about.

I have had terrible luck with vehicles my entire life except for my 1970 Nova, and my 2000 Firebird. That is why I went back to Chevy.

I hope I didn't make a mistake.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 39
Size:  38.2 KB

Please don't be too worried. I've had my 06 for 3+ years and have had only minor issues. That didn't really surprise me for it being a first year model.

And also remember that people tend to complain about things when they're annoyed, and not many commend/compliment things when they are performing as expected.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Founding Member

Welcome to the site!

No car/truck is perfect even a Mercedes, and that is why you get the warranty. This may be a simple sensor that needs replacing. GM's rules on rental vehicles are as follows. If a dealership cannot fix your vehicle in 1 business day you get a rental at GM's expense until they have it ready. "Loaners" are not given at GM's expense when the vehicle is dropped off, unless dealer management approves it as a goodwill gesture. You are a brand new owner, call your salesman and see if he can help by talking to the service management. Service Managers have the descrition to give the car out "on the spot" if they choose to. All they have to do is notate on the repair order why they did it. I usually state "New Owner, rental given out at time of service write up for customer satisfaction". One more thing, people that come in and act like civilized adults get a lot more then people that come in with their guns drawn and looking to scream at someone or fight. Good luck, they are great vehicles and you will love having it.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Don't worry. The ones who have problems always yell loudest. Thats the case with anything. There are a lot of problems that really aren't. I have 43,000 on my 06 2lt. Original tires, brakes, paint, windshield . You can nickel and dime any car for problems. Sounds like you may have a bad sensor. No biggie.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 46
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! Take a few deep breaths. Hopefully you won't have to worry about the issues you've read about. If you do, dealerships vary on what they will offer you. Some will drive you to and from work and others will look at you like your stupid. Hopefully you can find the former.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Okatta
Now, I have ready through 11 pages of the "trouble forums" and noticed that GM thinks this problem is a joke and is a "weather issue". Now my HHR stops without a problem, but I am worried in case this is not just a simple weather condition.
You've read through 11 pages of random *****ing about mostly nothing. Most people have either trouble-free or very small issues with their cars. It's the internet, so most people who are going to take the time to post are a very small fraction of actual owners.

I'd say just take your car in while it's still covered under warranty and get whatever sensor fixed that needs to be fixed. The warranty does not cover loaners, but it will cover a rental if the vehicle must be kept overnight. Loaners are up to the individual dealer, not GM or any other manufacturer that happens to have dealerships that feature loaners.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 PM

If you have read 11 pages of HHR problems here, then weigh that against the 1000's of pages of HHR joy and happiness from the owners here. I wouldn't worry too much. As far as dealer mechanic's go in my opinion they are more qualified in most cases to service your HHR than any corner mechanic at this point. I would find a good dealer and get it checked out.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Jesus you folks reply quick. There were zero replies when I started typing...SHEEESH.

First...welcome...you found the right site.

and you bought the right car...dont worry.

let me elaborate:

MOST internet message forums contain discussions about problems/issues/concerns. For the most part, that is what automotive forums were designed for-discussions about their cars. No one reports back daily to tell us how happy they are, or what great gas mileage they are getting, or how few problems they are experiencing. why? because everybody else KNOWS THIS...they have the same car. It's the PROBLEMS we read about.

over 300,000 HHR's sold already. For those numbers, you have to admit...there arent many problems with these cars. EVERY new car out there...new, used, trusted, maintained, nurtured, old or slightly used...they ALL have problems...and every time someone encounters a problem, they search the net, and find discussion boards filled with problems...

you are not alone. every one of us has had concerns...many have had actual problems...some of us are paranoid that we will eventually have problems...and you too, will have problems...that is why mechanics exist...someone has to fix these(or any) cars...

as for your brake light issue.

1)were you on level ground when you checked the fluid?
2)are you sure it was completely full(beyond a doubt)?
3)when you parked the car, was it on a steep grade?
4)was the parking brake applied?

there have been discussions about the shift interlock mechanism failing. This is NOT a HHR only problem...most new cars that utilize a shift inter-lock mechanism have their own variety of problems, so dont think you made a $10,000 mistake. You bought a modern day car that uses electronics. If the brake light didnt come on, would you even know that there was a problem? Sounds like not, as the car drives normally. You might be having to press pretty far down to disengage the shift interlock.

as for whether or not your dealer will have a loaner car for you, that is up to them. Many DO provide loaners for cars that are in the shop for warranty-related issues. You'll have to check with them.

also, did you buy a GM extended warranty, or a dealer warranty? If it's dealer, you are probably stuck with that dealer, or face paying a deductible.

I would take it in, and discuss it with the service department. explain your concerns...I have no problem with dealer mechanics, I just refuse to pay dealer prices...if it's warranty work? sure...if it's out of warranty...no way. I'll do it myself, or find an independent shop with a secure reputation, and pay them.

Good luck to you, and if you participate in this site as it was intended, and report back the results, you will be helping the next person who runs in to the same problem.

...and remember...internet message boards are mostly intended for sharing experiences. Most positive experiences never make print...the owners dont like to brag about how nice their car is...the rest of us already know...we have them. It's the people who have problems that come here for help. I am new...I joined the day after I bought my used 2006 2LT. I still worry about it...it's very new to me...I have no experience working on them yet, and I am pretty well-versed in mechanics...this is my First Chevy that is less than 10 years old...even though my warranty expires in less than 1000 miles, I am confident that whatever should go wrong, I can rely on this site, and its wonderful members to help my search for repairs, and you can bet you bottom dollar that I will share my experiences with the rest of you, and even provide any HOW TO info for future users. I have taken the time to write and submit many HOW TO articles with photos on the internet just to help people like you.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Welcome to the site; I have a 06 LS 43k+ no real issues,Key sticking, Lubed pin fixed. rattle under hood, fuel return line out of holder, driver door lock switch light out, fixed under warranty. Thats about it. No brake issues,no running issues it a great car. Remember only the ones that have real issues will post about them not the ones like myself and 1000's of others just go on loving the great car. Find a dealer that you can have a good feel with. Ask around, talk to others that have a late modle GM or HHR see what they have to say. Did you have someone before with your other car that you trusted talk with them. ALL and ALL most on this site love/like there HHR'S I think others will post up no I don't think I KNOW THEY WILL again WELCOME and we all will help you along
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Quick Reply: New Owner, now afraid