Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Silencing the Rear Panels in the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Silencing the Rear Panels in the HHR

Recently installed some remaining stereo gear I had laying around including a competition box I have with 2, JL 15's (has registered high 140's previously). Only giving them about 1/2 RMS but they have destroyed the rear hatch compartment.....I mean every single plastic panel in the back rattles BAD now. It appears to be beyond the help of Dynamat and I was wondering what others might have done. I've used expanding foam in the past and think it might be the only way with the HHR too. Roof panel will definantly require Dynamat too as it hits some weird resonant frequency at like 30-35 Hz and makes a really nasty sound.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM

x2 on the roof!!! around 30-35 mine makes a nasty metal clinging kinda noise lol...taking out the headliner soon to put a few layers of Second skin damplifier pro on it.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Damplifier Pro is the only way to go. Overkill Pro is what will be on the roof too, under the headliner. I hate that awful sound. I had my car in my "demo area," and walked away with my 1 12" and playing some pink noise, and I heard it at least 90 feet away.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 AM

are you doing just overkill pro on the roof, or you putting damplifier pro as well as overkill pro?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Where can I find the Damplifier Pro stuff? I was just talking to my stereo guy about this vs Dynamat for the doors and rear hatch.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Rest In Peace

Go to Lowes and buy 6"x25' rolls of "PEEL & SEAL" in the Roofing Dept.

I think I saw another brand in Menards roofing dept. as well.

Works GOOD and is Much Cheaper than products supposedly made for sound.

(Betting the first guy found the stuff in the Roofing Dept. and decided to rename it and charge 5X's more or more even for it.LOL)
Cut small squares and poke a hole in them and place over/around the ancor posts on the panels to fill the gaps stopping the vibrating.

Place it all over just like the so called sound stuff.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ufvj217
are you doing just overkill pro on the roof, or you putting damplifier pro as well as overkill pro?
I'm putting damplifier pro, as well as overkill pro. That roof moves way too much. Even with a single 15.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 AM

I've been chasing a couple of noises, couple in the front end, and one in the right rear, with no luck so far.
been thinking about sound deafining the crap out of the complete interior and inside fender panel, firewall ect.
Question being: How good is the "Peel & Seal" from Lowes[since I don't want to spend a fortune on the high dollar stuff]. I want to make the SS as quite as possible. I'm spoiled, as Mama's car is a 460 Lexus, and it is real quiet. "Moon"
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Go to Lowes and buy 6"x25' rolls of "PEEL & SEAL" in the Roofing Dept.

I think I saw another brand in Menards roofing dept. as well.

Works GOOD and is Much Cheaper than products supposedly made for sound.

(Betting the first guy found the stuff in the Roofing Dept. and decided to rename it and charge 5X's more or more even for it.LOL)
Cut small squares and poke a hole in them and place over/around the ancor posts on the panels to fill the gaps stopping the vibrating.

Place it all over just like the so called sound stuff.
Wait till you see temps in the 90's and you start smelling it drip down on everything..if it was good installers would be using it, it doesnt hold up in heat.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Wait till you see temps in the 90's and you start smelling it drip down on everything..if it was good installers would be using it, it doesnt hold up in heat.
Back in the day, I did the whole trunk of a Cadillac I had in Peel n Seal. It totally worked good for the first few weeks, but once the temperatures started warming up, no matter how much air freshener I sprayed in the car, it constantly smelled like fresh asphalt. You need a butyl product. Second Skin rules.

Quick Reply: Silencing the Rear Panels in the HHR