Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sirius installation: where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Sirius installation: where to put it?

I have a Sirius "Sportster", and can't come up with a good place to set it in the HHR! The suction cup mount won't do, for the windshield is too small, and too far foward, anyhow. It won't stick to the dash, either.... I'm considering placing some velcro to the base, and someplace on the dash, but thought I'd ask here if anyone has installed one already and came up with a decent place for it.

Also, where do we run to antenna out from? Is there an easy routing someplace? Out the rear hatch? what about the radio antenna: is there a way to rout the wire that way?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM

I ran the antenna from the back around the weatherstipping under the back cargo area, under the backseat and though the center console...but I am using the windshield mount and want to move it somewhere else...

Anyone have pictures of their Sirius Sportster installation?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM

I got the replay model, I install it with the suction holder direct to the Windshield, so far it a temporary mod, I will put it on the bottom of the left pillar with the wire go true the joint between the pillar and the dash.

I will post pics of it later on.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM

I ran my antenna under the rubber weatherstripping around the passanger door and stuck it on the roof near the passanger side. But I really don't like it there. I think I would like to run it out the hatch and next to the OnStar antenna, where it will be less noticible.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Update...

I placed the antenna centered on the roof, just outsie the rear hatch. Ran the cable past the hatch's right hinge, then followed the "gutter" on the passenger side, then under the weather stripping to the front passenger door, ran it down the A pillar(still under the weatherstrip), then into the car, under the dash, tucked up and weaving around the glove compartment door.

From there, I ran the antenna cable, the power cable, and also a 1/8" to 1/8"(male at each end) cable up to the dashtop glove box. Take out the 2 screws, and the whole compartment comes out. Drilled a 5/8" hole in the bottom of it, and ran the cables into the compartment. I can now use the Sirius Sportster(or any other, I guess) from the dashtop glove compartment. If we want to see who's playing, we leave the door open(doesn't block the view), or we can just leave it on its back, and shut the door. I ca also use my iPod via the 1/8" cable, and leave it in te glove box, also.

The 1/8" cable and the power cord were easily run up the dash, exiting out the bottom tray(below the window switches). All in all, a pretty clean installation, and only took about 10 minutes to do.

I secured the antenna cable, where it runs around the hatch hinge and along the gutter, with a few drops of super glue here and there(tip: super glue loves baking soda, as it acts as a catalyst).

Hope this helps someone! I'm still open to better ideas, too!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:54 PM

I have the XM Roadie and I used velcro to stick it right above the hazard light switch between the two vents. No problems. I stuck the antenna right on the edge of the front of the sunroof behind the Onstar antenna, ran the wire through the sunroof over the driver's side visor and behind the molding between the windshield and driver's window, ran under the dashboard behind the radio to the passenger's side and stuck the wire into the tiny crevice that runs up the edge of the radio plate to the receiver. Works for me.