Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Speaker Installation

Hello all, I recently picked up the Infinity Reference 6020cs and 6022i component system and 6.5" speakers to replace my factory equipment. I own a 1LT with the 6-CD MP3-CD Head Unit and the standard speaker system. I have no plans to replace the factory head unit and do not wish to do so.

As far as installation goes, are there any recommendations or tips that you'd be able to provide me with? Would it be preferred to simply replace the factory wiring entirely or make interconnections when replacing the speakers? Also, if interconnections are preferred, would it be best to simply solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing or to use say male and female interconnects for easy disconnection?

I am also curious about installing the crossovers. To my knowledge, the factory system does not use a crossover but instead has a capacitor installed on the tweeter, correct? Considering that I am using the factory head unit, how would I wire the crossover since I am not powering them from an aftermarket amp, where I'd be running the amp to the inputs of the crossovers?

Any assistance is very much appreciated! I have little experience with car audio although I have installed a subwoofer in prior experience.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by h3reye51nroam
I have little experience with car audio although I have installed a subwoofer in prior experience.
Name:  welcome-3.gif
Views: 98
Size:  7.7 KBWith questions such as your's, would've never guessed you've only got limited knowledge in car audio. Unfortunately, I have even less knowledge than that, and can't be of any help.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

i would run all new wiring to the doors. keep the crossovers for the front under the dash and run wire to the door thru the grommet and one to the dash for the tweeter. in the back you may be able to hide the crossover in the b-pillar and run the wires out to the door. another suggestion would be to deaden the door with sound deadener and make mounting plates for the speakers out of MDF. we usually do 12Guage wire to the doors, something like kicker or knukonceptz would be great. as far as signal, yes 99% of GM systems have the capacitors at the speakers, just tag the wires in the front kick panels and the ones for the rear would be in the b-pillar....most importantly always use solder and heat shrink for audio installs. if anyone tells you otherwise, they should not be into audio.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 101
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! Like Jay, I'm clueless on this kind of stuff. Be sure to check out the Regional Threads and plan early for next years 2nd Annual Cedar Point/HHR Meet
Old 07-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds great, I will stick to the solder joints as I have on the previous install. As far as replacing the factory wiring goes, I'm assuming that you are referring to snipping the wires at the harness in the back of the head unit and then making a fresh joint with the new wiring? I did not purchase a component system for the back, so I only have one pair of crossovers which will be installed with the component system up front. Anyway that you could clarify on actually wiring up the crossovers? I'm assuming that because the factory system does not have them, the tweeters and speakers in the front doors are simply wired directly to the harness in the back of the head unit correct? If so, what will I use as my input signal for the crossover? Thanks again everyone take care!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 AM

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my replacement 6022i, but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out how to wire the crossovers. Will I simply take both the front door and tweeter speaker wires to the input of the crossover and then run wires to the replacement front door speaker and tweeter? I'm a little confused since it doesn't have crossovers installed from the factory.