Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

ON STAR Whos using it and what do think about it

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM

on star is seperate than the phone that is in your car.... you have to have on star in order to have phone service in the car.... which is verizon... but verizon cant turn your phone on, you have to go through on star, then they have their rep. who is an verizon associate help you. The reason they told me is that they dont want any one messing with the program or numbers that might and could effect the on star performance.

I have on star on my wifes monte carlo.. and have had it on 2 other vehicles i love it wish my hhr had it but got a deal i couldnt refuse or would have been stupid to refuse this one that i bought that was just like the one they were going to get me.

On Star yes anytime for me... oh by the way they only know when you push the button where your at or call them to tell them to track your car is when they know where you are, they just dont sit there and track everyone where they are going. its a service to HELP.....and they do...

the phone can go on your verizon family plan... but you still have to go through the on star operator.

Last edited by HHR4JK; 04-29-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Verizon is the dedicated carrier for OnStar calls. You have to talk with both companies (I don't remember in what order) to set it. I have a family share plan which adds a second line for $10 a month and I share the minutes between my cell and my HHR.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Verizon is the dedicated or authorized carrier for On Star.... but you cannot activate your phone with a verizon dealer...or store..... you have to push the blue button ... your on star rep will answer, then you tell the rep that you want to activate your phone and put it on your Verizon family plan... then the on star rep will transfer you to the verizon rep that is at On Star....

Remember once you have it activate if you change any of your phones or plans with verizon you HAVE to contact On Star.... because it will be controled by on star..... and verizon will not be able to access your account... due to on star security..
Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Interesting, thanks for the responses. Up here in Canada, Onstar is on the Bell Mobility network, I will have to look into it and see if the same kind of thing is available here.

What would be really cool: have the ability to run more modern cell phone apps such as google maps and opera mini. I wonder who provides the cell hardware to GM? Im guessing motorola. They could easily add an LCD screen and interface to run java apps and manage the cell phone functions.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM

My only comment would be that in addition to the many benefits and conveniences On-Star can provide, anyone who owns a vehicle that is On-Star equipped, with any part of the service "active" (subscribed) or not, should VERY carefully research and understand the potential (and often uninteded) ramifications over which the vehicle owner has absolutely NO control or discretion.

Personally, had I not purchased an '07 that was NOT equipped with On-Star, my very first act as an '08 owner would have been to disable, and eventually remove, the system in its entirety.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by prod
What would be really cool: have the ability to run more modern cell phone apps such as google maps and opera mini. I wonder who provides the cell hardware to GM? Im guessing motorola. They could easily add an LCD screen and interface to run java apps and manage the cell phone functions.
Even more useful would be to enable On-Star to use GPRS/EDGE (or the CDMA equivalent) with Bluetooth connetivity. Then any PC with dial-up netowrking over bluetooth could have full net access. On the other hand, my cell-phone already offers that just by carrying it in my pocket without all of the other "overhead" On-Star imposes.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 AM

Only used it once. The paper I got when I bought the car said I had to use it within 24 hours. About 27 hours later I tried it.
A very happy sounding disembodied voice greeted me, and told me how OnStar worked. It's nice to know it's there if I needed it.