Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM

stereo install

Started my stereo install today. What a huge headache. I thought this would be easy like my last truck. Just pull a few interior peices and replace a few speakers, add a amp, and boom done. Nope! Here I am five hours later, no rear seat, rear cargo area looks like it exploded and the whole passenger side trim is tore out. One lowsy little speaker is wired and in place, and the distribution block is set for the amps. Oh well, if it's worth doing it is worth doing right. Went with the three P2 subs from Rockford Fosgate, with one audiobahn mono block amp. Eclipse A4000 for the seperates, that will power RF power series for the rear doors, and RF punch series with two sets of removable tweeters (hopefully one to be placed in the stock location) for the front. I'll get some pics up soon when my camera charges. Went to take pictures tonight and it won't work
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Sounds like a good time!

I'll probably keep mine stock. Might put in a different sub eventually, but I'm really behind on audio technology.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:13 PM

I look forward to seeing your results. Have fun , well, as much as possible. The end result will no doubt have a huge payoff.

If it is any consolation, this was my van last week, in the middle of an install. The car was out of commission for over a week, but the result was worth it.

We built a sub box, put in amps,Hush mat material, a touchscreen and more. Hope to do this all to our HHR to.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by stick
Started my stereo install today. What a huge headache. I thought this would be easy like my last truck. Just pull a few interior peices and replace a few speakers, add a amp, and boom done. Nope! Here I am five hours later, no rear seat, rear cargo area looks like it exploded and the whole passenger side trim is tore out. One lowsy little speaker is wired and in place, and the distribution block is set for the amps. Oh well, if it's worth doing it is worth doing right. Went with the three P2 subs from Rockford Fosgate, with one audiobahn mono block amp. Eclipse A4000 for the seperates, that will power RF power series for the rear doors, and RF punch series with two sets of removable tweeters (hopefully one to be placed in the stock location) for the front. I'll get some pics up soon when my camera charges. Went to take pictures tonight and it won't work
So how is it going? We need a update.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Okay, here is the update on the stereo from hell.

The tear down
Name:  003-3.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  43.0 KB

which is a lot cleaner then now. I have both sides plastic tore out and most of the dash too.

Here is the amp and speakers going in. The silver power series are for the back door, and the black punch series are for the front door. I also removed one of the tweeters, they can both be taken out the the punch series and placed in different places, and placed it in the stock location
Name:  002-5.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  001-5.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.5 KB

Now tonight I was trying to wire most of it up and hit a brick wall. Everything I did I now have to redo Oh well, there is always tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Looks like a pain in the ass.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM

No idea But it will be worth it in the end.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM

It's alive! Got most of it hooked up tonight and now just have to add another amp and the subs. Looks like tomorrow for that. It hits hard enough to feel the high hat on a few songs without running the subs yet Sorry meant snare.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Are you using the stock HU?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Yes stock head unit. Aftermarket amps though. This thing kicks but, can't wait till I get my subs in there.

Quick Reply: stereo install