Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stock speaker size

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM

I haven't been in the rear doors yet. Crutchfield says the amplified cars have 6.75's front and rear while the non amplified ones have 6.5's front and rear.

I am not saying that they are correct but they usually try to have good info and the 6.75 for the front of the amplified cars seems correct as my 6.5's barely fit.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have the amplified system. Either way, gotta check to see if another speaker will work in that door.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM

just got 2 sets of component speakers for my hhr, 6.5" I didnt know the speaker size either but making speaker adapters out of mdf
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM

So it came back the other day...and now it's gone again. Loose wire/connection methinks
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM

SO...I'm pretty sure I punctured the foam on the drivers front door speaker when I had the panel off to chase a rattle. Was fine for a while but now that speaker is ragged out. I've acquired a set of stock speakers out of a 2LT and intend to put them in...I've got a 1LT with the stock stereo. Does anyone know (or have pics) of the stock base speakers vs the upgraded speakers? And for that matter, will i need to worry about the "speaker install rings" mentioned earlier in this thread when installing the new speakers, as they do NOT have anything on them? They came from a member that I trust here and he said they didn't have any rings...came out of the car and went in a box. I'm assuming that they'll bolt right in and I'll be jamming along in no time.

Again, it was mentioned earlier in this thread about "GM oversized 6.75" speakers" vs the commonly suggested size of 6.5"...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM

The upgrade Pioneers are screwed into a factory adapter ring. The base model speakers are the speaker and trim ring all as one where they can not be seperated without cutting. Do the ones you have look like normal speakers or do they look odd shaped?

Whether or not you will need adapters depends on which stereo your HHR came with and what those speakers are. It sounds like the ones you got are the upgrade Pioneer amplified speakers if they do not have rings built into them. If you have the base system then you probably do not want to run these on the factory radio as they are 2ohm speakers and I have a hard time imagining that the base HU can handle running a 2 ohm load for long. But if you did want to try them then yes you would need adapters. Now if you have the Pioneer amp'd system (the one with the factory sub in the back) then the car would already have adapters from the factory.

Here is a pic of the base stereo factory speakers. You actually have seen this pic and commented on it lol.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 AM

I'm pretty sure what I have now...only had the door panel off for a very short time and wasn't looking at the speakers. I'm hoping that the stock hu will power them without much fuss, but I guess I'll find out soon enough :)
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Be carefull. The amped factory speakers are 2 ohm speakers and I would not be suprised if the base HU will have issues long term with those speakers attached.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM

Just gives me a reason to upgrade hu :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM

got all four speakers installed this morning and it sounds great! had to splice the wiring together as the clips aren't the same, but that was easy enough. They are color coded and can't mess them up...fortunately, the upgraded speakers I bought came with the factory clips and a short bit of wire for reference. Since it's behind the door panels, I wasn't as concerned about how the install looked...self tapping sheet metal screws did the trick no sweat!
Will try to get some pics up when I can feel my fingers. 20* out this morning

On a side note, if you're having remote issues, the tin foil on the back of the pads really does the trick! Brought what I thought was a terminal remote back to life and it works better than my "good" one...which I found out has a broken solder. Would explain why it was only kinda working

Quick Reply: Stock speaker size