Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM

stock stereo

my stereo works only when it wants to passanger side speaker works but all others only work when they want to
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Seems like you made a STATEMENT.....do you have a question??
Old 06-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

What year ? Factory head unit ? Factory speakers ?

Looking for advice on repairing or replacing ?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 PM

I have the same symptoms. Passenger side door speaker is the only one that always works. Occasionally others will work intermittently. Also when it's really hot and the car has been sitting outside the display goes out. I think I need a new unit. The whole thing looks connected to the temp controls etc. this isn't like when I was a teenager pulling stereos on all of my friends cars.
Is there any aftermarket choices or do I need to find a junkyard with my year and model and replace it with the same unit?
Any Experience with this?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 PM

I found some great info here on how to pull the old stereo and also found some cheap replacements online. Does anyone know if I can drop in an 09 in my 07? They look the same and I'd really love the USB iPod hookup that mine doesn't have.

Also wondering if the dealer will have to unlock the anti theft stuff.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Problems with my stock stereo is what brought me to this site.

For me the stock speakers were toast. I replaced them with a few different sets I already had in the big box of speakers and eventually bought a new set of 4 at Walmart.

I bought two different stereos to install in the dash before I finally figured out that the speakers were my real problem. I only tried to have one mated to the car and the dealer is supposed to be able to do that. They could not get the replacement stereo to work so I put a Clarion stereo in for a while.

The aftermarket stereo played fine with the stock speakers but I lost the door chimes and the low fuel chime and blinker noise because the stock radio makes those sounds. You can buy a gizmo that will replace the noises if you want. My wife did not like it that the chimes were gone so I ordered a second used stock stereo but figured out that it was my speakers, when that finally dawned on me {because the back speakers stopped working with the Clarion stereo still in the dash} I put the original six disk changer back in and had the chimes again no problem.

Its up to you but, I would probably get the chime replacement module and the wiring harness to lash up an aftermarket radio if this one goes belly up again.

My best guess is your speakers are just not working. The stock speakers I removed are now living in some enclosures I whipped up out of pallet boards and are in the garage hooked up to the Clarion and play fine. Not sure why they won't work in the car anymore.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM

The reason I think it's the stereo and not the speakers is that the display on the stereo goes out from time to time. Also the speakers do occasionally come back on randomly, and my repair guy told me he thought the stereo was fried. Another thing that's odd, when I hook up my iPhone to the 1/8 jack there is a hum. Also if the phone is not plugged in to power the sound cuts out. I'll have the new stereo this week and I'll report back.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Well. I put in a new Kenwood with Bluetooth etc. it's great and went in easy. But only the passenger front speaker still works. Looks like I'll be replacing the speakers and hoping it's not the wiring harness...
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM

I will say with no doubt in my mind that your speakers are definitely not working and that your wiring is fine.

If you search a little you will find my posts on this, I removed the stock speakers put some WD-40 on the frogs in the speakers and they came around for a while then went all intermittent again.

I replaced them but kept the originals and put them in some speaker boxes I whipped up out of pallet boards then lashed them to the clarion stereo I had in the HHR while I was figuring things out.

They lurk in the garage now and still work fine had them playing just last Tuesday while we put the Hitch on the Neon.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM

You were right. I had only one good speaker out of 4. When I pulled out the front 2 to replace them, I took the good one and tried it in both sides in back and it worked. A few wire clips were corroded but it was definitely the speakers. All dead.