Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Thanks to PAL I get free XM - but there's one catch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Thanks to PAL I get free XM - but there's one catch...

Just had the PAL installed in my 06 2LT. First of all, I should have sensed a problem when everyone in the parts department and/or service at a local So Cal dealership had NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS. Okay, whatevs. Van Nuys Chevy Dealer has all their aftermarket installs done by a local mom and pop mod shop down the street so I took it there. Backstory - I bought my car used and it had dealer installed XM but by the time I got it the XM was no longer active. Fine with me. I know there are issues with PAL and XM cause having them interact together would be so completely darn tough for the forward-thinking GM techs to figure out. An HHR owner can dream...

Got the PAL installed and it's, by far, the least intuitive thing connected to an ipod in the history of ever. Before you start in on me, I did RTFM and that crap is ridiculous. Gotta have playlists or you're totally hosed. Interface with radio is so completely overcomplicated and one wrong button push and something you don't want to hear from the radio starts blaring in your ears. I'm terrified to touch any buttons once my ipod starts playing.

My last car was a BMW and it also had an aftermarket ipod connection to the stereo. Flawless and intuitive. No problems. This PAL was obviously created by a bunch of loser engineers who hate ipods or anything that's easy to use while driving. Maybe they're bitter cause they're designing HHRs and not BMWs. Either way the joke is on us.

So now, and keep in mind I never had XM...now, cause the thing has to be plugged in the XM port. Now...wait for it...I'm getting free XM in my car. Some of you may say, "Why complain?" Well cause it's not all the time it's just every 30 or 40 seconds during a song that's playing through the PAL from my ipod. That's right folks, I hear about 3 or 4 seconds of some country music or acid rock or sports crap or whatever breaking in whenever I'm on the freeway or Ventura Boulevard. I'm thinking perhaps I'm driving near another car with XM and now I'm picking up their XM scraps. Not sure but it's G.D. annoying to hear some sort of Garth Brooks break into The English Beat for 3 seconds happening every 30 or 40 seconds. Not annoying, maddening. Anyway, I'm sure there's some sort of convoluted way to fix this and the mom and pop installers will get first crack at making this thing work but OMG what a TERRIBLE item this PAL is. Truly craptastic.

Anyone having the same issue with the XM intrusion?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Just get another BMW.

Rock on.

@
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Ahhhh, there's the exact solution I expected.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Banned

You aren't getting free XM. What you are hearing is most likely the 2 XM channels that are free on all XM's. This is the ad channel trying to get you to subscribe to XM. Personally I think once you had XM for a while you would be happy with it. The Ipod as far as I'm concerned isn't needed. I have had XM for years now and it has been at least 2 years since I have played a real station. ON my HHR I haven't even programed in a station on the real radio and don't even know if it works. I bought my HHR with the 6 disk changer that reads mp3 CDs and with about 180 songs on each CD I see no reason for the Ipod which sits home on my desk. Between the 6 disk changer and XM with 200 stations there is always something to listen to if you would cool down, relax and give it a shot.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Founding Member

There are three new updates for the PALs. I would take it in and they will put the newest updates into your BCM. See this thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...2882&page=6#52
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM

Did they flash the XM? Wen I had the PAL installed in my other HHR with XM that is the way is sounded until it was reflashed.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 PM

I wish they would upgrade the thing to make it work well. It is so slow and clunky I just don't get it. I only keep it because it cost so much, and it keeps the ipod clean and out of sight.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM

I like her writing style! Hope it all gets sorted out. I vote for taking it in for the BCM update. That very well could be the remedy. Im w/bigdog, Im not a fan of iPods and I love my XM. Maybe oldschool but I also like to burn CD's and taylor the sound to my car.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate it. I'm definitely getting the XM freebie thingy and not full XM, which makes it even better cause I'm basically getting free XM commercials in my car. Awesome! Commercials for commercial-free radio. The irony never stops. The last thing I want to do is throw any more money into getting this overpriced and underdeveloped part working right so I guess I'll talk to a tech at another Chevy dealer that knows WTF a PAL is.

For those of you who suggest I dump the ipod and only use XM I say thank you ever so much for your wonderful suggestion but - I want to hear what I want to hear. Call me kooky but I'm unwilling to listen to 23 hours of showtunes programmed by a computer hoping upon hope that they'll eventually play the overture from Bye Bye Birdie. No thanks. This gal has it at the touch of her hand if her ipod actually worked in her HHR. Plus, I refuse to pay a monthly/quarterly/annual/lifetime bill in order to hear music in my car. I have a 6 CD changer, ipod and terrestrial radio coming in loud and clear along with random hits of free XM commercials. Hubby has the XM in his SUV but not for me. Soooo, I will desperately try to drag GM into the 21st century and get this POS PAL to work.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM

Wendy, I'm like you and prefer my own 'toons. I've had NO problems with the PAL (I was lucky it was already installed in the car) and once I figuered it out, is pretty easy to use--I know others say otherwise, but I find play-lists help--set it and go. You probably know to hold the button just a *smidgen* longer then a quick touch to change tracks--or else, as you know, you get some infernal country song or whatever.

I know you miss your BMW, but this really is a fun car and hope you do decide to keep it.

@
(sorry if I was rude in an earlier post: f/t work + f/t PhD program = little sleep and cranky angelita)

Quick Reply: Thanks to PAL I get free XM - but there's one catch...