Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Tweeter thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Tweeter thread.

I want to put tweeters in the middle storage area.

The vifa's on ebay are all about 2-3" wide for the bracket so they won't really fit in the stock tweeter location and I wanted to make a left and right channel for both passenger and driver (keeping the stock tweeters for fun and because almost no decent tweeters will fit without cutting)

I was also thinking about having 4 tweeters in the center storage area. 2 pointing forward and 2 pointing outside the front windows.

since I would be building a small box for them, I could just take the box out when needed and it wouldn't require cutting or hurting the interior in anyway.

my other idea would be to make a pod for the windshield to dash and a-pilar corners so that you could fit a larger diameter mounted tweeter without cutting anything.

any input appreciated.

BTW most car audio tweeters are garbage as far as im concerned.

get some vifa's and you'll understand why
Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...Pillar+removal

Fiberglass them into the A pillars.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Don't use tweeters in the middle cubby. Just get a 5-1/4" Full range driver and cross it over at 10k. Done.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM

I put aftermarket tweeters in the same location as the factory. Why would you ever need 6 tweeters in the dash?!?!?!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shanes0406
I put aftermarket tweeters in the same location as the factory. Why would you ever need 6 tweeters in the dash?!?!?!
Maybe because he likes to hear

TIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS over everything else.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Shanes0406
Originally Posted by Eric B
Maybe because he likes to hear

TIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS TIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS over everything else.
that tisssss only happens with cheap tweeters.

I have some vifa's right now and they have no hisssssssss because they are quality tweeters. $15 each shipped from ebay and they blow the doors off of the $60 pairs of tweeters at local car audio shops.

I know "$60 for tweeters, what did you expect" but seeing as how you can get way better for less, used, there is no point in going to best buy and spending $100+ on tweeters.

Don't use tweeters in the middle cubby. Just get a 5-1/4" Full range driver and cross it over at 10k. Done.
tweeters in the middle cubby would give the passenger and driver their own left and right channels, as apposed to having the left/right all the way on the other side of the car, out of balance.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM

How would you compensate for time correction with that many channels? you would never get a proper sound stage? Also, you would have way to much of the higher frequenies, you would need to compensate for your mid bass.... I agree with EricB that a full range sopeaker would sound way better, trying to put more bass in the front. Maybe I'm worng, but to each his own.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by hhrumadbruh
that tisssss only happens with cheap tweeters.

I have some vifa's right now and they have no hisssssssss because they are quality tweeters. $15 each shipped from ebay and they blow the doors off of the $60 pairs of tweeters at local car audio shops.

I know "$60 for tweeters, what did you expect" but seeing as how you can get way better for less, used, there is no point in going to best buy and spending $100+ on tweeters.

tweeters in the middle cubby would give the passenger and driver their own left and right channels, as apposed to having the left/right all the way on the other side of the car, out of balance.
I know Vifa tweeters are descent, I'm not a total dumbass.. But there is a point where you have too much tweeter. But as far as tweeters in the cubby.. nooooo.. a full range will work much better, but make sure you cross it over at 10k. The reason I say to cross it over at that is because that's where the human ear can start to 'localize' where its coming from which would defeat the purpose of a center channel, which is why your theory will not work. Left is left, and right is right, center is center. Just run a center channel full range driver and cross it over at 10k. And while your at it, grab yourself a nice sound processor that can process a center channel.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM

I know Vifa tweeters are descent, I'm not a total dumbass.. But there is a point where you have too much tweeter. But as far as tweeters in the cubby.. nooooo.. a full range will work much better, but make sure you cross it over at 10k. The reason I say to cross it over at that is because that's where the human ear can start to 'localize' where its coming from which would defeat the purpose of a center channel, which is why your theory will not work. Left is left, and right is right, center is center. Just run a center channel full range driver and cross it over at 10k. And while your at it, grab yourself a nice sound processor that can process a center channel.
I agree...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Fibergalssing the pillars for just tweets should not be all that hard. I just installed mids and tweets in mine.

Name:  apillarcloth.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  apillarcloth5.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  201.1 KB

Quick Reply: Tweeter thread.