Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Two of three Passenger Side Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM

Automotive Dictionary
Windshield pillars
The front posts of the body shell which together with the scuttle and header panel form the windshield aperture ..
http://motorera.com/dictionary/WI.htm
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM

hi I am new here and came in looking for info on speaker problems myself. First it was the left side speakers and now the right side went out after a heavy rain but came back on. I noticed the left side would also work once in awhile also. I was thinking the radio or wiring had problems but I have read many people have had problems with the speakers failing. It appears this is a big problem with HHRs and I was wondering if anybody knows if GM has taken any action. I have owned more than 15 cars and never had to change one speaker because it quit working. I have changed some to put better ones in but never had one just stop working let alone four of them in same car. The tweeters in front roof pillars both still work which sorta rules out the radio not working. There is a you tube video showing how to take off the door panels, it doest look too difficult so I plan on just changing the speakers. Google you tube HHR door panels if you want to see the videos. I was sort of hoping GM was taking some kind of action.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by trp313
Hello,

New to the forum here and before I get into a major tear down or replacement of parts, I was wondering if anyone else ever experienced this?

My 2008 HHR with a standard CD Player (MP3 Capable) suddenly only plays out of the driver's side speakers and the passenger side tweeter along the windshield pillar.

Does this sound like the two speakers are blown? I would think if that channel of the power amp was blown the tweeter wouldn't work unless this is somehow I bi-amped system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
I definitely understand how this could be a pain. When I listen to music I like to hear it through out my car. I would like to do some research on your issue. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM

I am also having a similar issue, ill be tearing everything apart and checking w/ a dvom on Monday will repost.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Same issue on 2006 LS

Having the same problem with my 2006. I've checked the wiring before and all appears good. Just the entire left side and all but the right rear are not working. I the volume is turned down the left front produces sound, but not loud enough to listen to. I tried sending a PM to Jessica but got the message that their box is full and can't accept any more PMs 'til they clear up some storage space. Does anyone know if Chevy is addressing this issue?
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Nope - not at this time.

It sounds like either you are having problems with all the speakers (not that likely unless they started failing one at a time), or the head unit has bad connections to the speakers, or the head unit itself has gone defective.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Nope - not at this time.

It sounds like either you are having problems with all the speakers (not that likely unless they started failing one at a time), or the head unit has bad connections to the speakers, or the head unit itself has gone defective.
Dug into it last week. Bought new speakers for the doors & even new tweeters for the columns. Tweeters took some re-engineering to get them to mount securely, but wasn't too bad. then came the first door speaker...first one I went after was the the driver's side front door. Upon removal of the speaker, I found the wiring melted / fused together about 3 inches above the speaker connection for about 4 -5 inches. Not a good start. Replaced the burnt wiring section with some quality speaker wire. Now the radio has a constant high-pitched tone coming from the left tweeter (great). Disconnected for now and picking up a junkyard radio (same year HHR, basic AM/FM/CD) this afternoon.
My daughter has been driving this for over a year. The speakers have been flaky for a while (sound going in/out) and I just got around to looking at it in the past week. Apparently the door / seatbelt / other alert tones have been inop for quite some time. Wish me luck!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by electraglide67
hi I am new here and came in looking for info on speaker problems myself. First it was the left side speakers and now the right side went out after a heavy rain but came back on. I noticed the left side would also work once in awhile also. I was thinking the radio or wiring had problems but I have read many people have had problems with the speakers failing. It appears this is a big problem with HHRs and I was wondering if anybody knows if GM has taken any action. I have owned more than 15 cars and never had to change one speaker because it quit working. I have changed some to put better ones in but never had one just stop working let alone four of them in same car. The tweeters in front roof pillars both still work which sorta rules out the radio not working. There is a you tube video showing how to take off the door panels, it doest look too difficult so I plan on just changing the speakers. Google you tube HHR door panels if you want to see the videos. I was sort of hoping GM was taking some kind of action.
II hope this helps everyone with this speakers issues. I just bought a 09 hhr and when I test drove it we was having a drought basically, checked everything all was well I waited a month after the test drive to purchase the hhr well in between that time we had almost record rainfall and two ice storms. After buying and all the first thing I knowest was "ALL" the door speakers was not working but the tweeters was. So I got curious and pulled the driver door panel and as soon as I pulled the speaker out I found the culprit, poor insulating around the speaker causing it to short out from being soaking wet. I purchased some brackets for mounting "$20" all four new speakers that can be found on crutchfield or amazon. Mounted the speakers of my choosing and solved the issue. Be sure to insulate the new speaker connecting wires real well to Insure the problem wont presist.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by sclark86
I purchased some brackets for mounting "$20" all four new speakers that can be found on crutchfield or amazon. Mounted the speakers of my choosing and solved the issue. Be sure to insulate the new speaker connecting wires real well to Insure the problem wont presist.
Had you registered her sooner and then used the SEARCH box, you would have found out how to mount your new speakers without the adapters. You just cut the cones out of the old speakers and VIOLA (sic) you have adapters.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

2008 HHR, I also had the radio speakers issue, it got to the point where only my rear driver's side speaker would work but every now and then I would hit a bump and all the speakers would work until I turned the car off. I thought this was a wiring issues due to the bump fix issue.
I read a number of forum posts and decided to go ahead and get 4 new cheap speakers ($12 on Amazon) since several people reported the same symptoms as me and this fixed their problem.
While waiting on the new speakers I removed the 2 rear speakers and swapped them. The inop right speaker would not work on the left side. The working left side speaker would work intermittently on the right side if I held the wiring connector in a position where the contacts first met but not when the connector was fully seated. Again I assumed this was a wiring issue.
My 4 speakers arrived and I put them in and presto a complete set of working speakers. Sounds as good as the originals.
I have a couple decades as an electrical technician in the Air Force but this intermittent problem definitely seemed like a wiring issue but to my happy surprise it was 3 dead speakers (plus one very temperamental speaker).

Quick Reply: Two of three Passenger Side Speakers not working