Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Unlock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 PM

Unlock Radio

I had to buy a replacement used Stock AM/FM CD Radio for my HHR. I have installed it and it says lock on the radio. The owers manual says I must take it to the dealership to remove the code. Does anyone know how to clear the code without having to go to the dealership?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:31 PM

You will have to take it to the dealer. Sorry, but the radios are registered to the VIN.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:48 AM

Make sure you bring the receipt for the radio purchase and any other documents you have. The purpose of all this (radio lock) is to make a stolen radio useless. You may need to convince the dealer service department that its not stolen. Good luck. Let us know what they required as proof. Maybe ChevyMgr can give us more on this?

Steve
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM

My dealer didn't ask for any proof of purchase when I took mine in. An old member Tokyo got a new system and sold me his for a very reasonable price. I put it in myself and got the same result. Called Mike from SoCalHHR's at the time, he said it was a dealer thing. Took it to the dealer, they were happy to fix it and give me a bill for $89.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 AM

This makes me MAD!

If it were an anti-theft issue, there would be some sort of database - or the seller would have to contact GM to get it released.

The way it stands... it's just a cash cow for dealerships.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:43 PM

If that makes you mad wingfeather...let me tell you the rest of the story. I was having some issues with the new radio which have since cleared themselves up, but was told by the dealership that since it wasn't the stock radio that came with the car, it wasn't covered under warranty either. I would have taken the whole matter up with GM directly since the radio is a stock HHR radio and this was back in 2006 when the HHR model was new, but it quit giving me problems so I didn't pursue it any further.

Cash cow is right.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Just put in an oem radio in mt HHR and now the dealer is wanting $110.00 to program it and won't guaranty it to work. What I paid for the radio and the $110 program fee I could by a Pioneer or something else. Not sure if I'll get it programmed.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by phrog fixer
Just put in an oem radio in mt HHR and now the dealer is wanting $110.00 to program it and won't guaranty it to work. What I paid for the radio and the $110 program fee I could by a Pioneer or something else. Not sure if I'll get it programmed.
If you remove the new radio you just got and write down all of the numbers on the back of the radio then the dealer won't have to remove the radio to get the numbers for programming. (Save some labor time) I have had radios programed at my dealer for around 30.00.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Technical Moderator

My local Chevy dealer charges $110 for EACH thing addressed when they hook a TechII up, like program new airbag module and new fob ($220). The local Buick dealer charges $110 to hook up the TechII and whatever needs to be done.

Anyway, you do not HAVE to go to a Chevy dealer, any GM shop has the tool.

Make sure that the new radio is the same year or older than the old one. Evidently the S/N has to be appropriate in the BCM. That's why they won't guarantee it, beyond that they didn't sell & install it.

Quick Reply: Unlock Radio