Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Various HHR Sub Installs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Not a competetive show system, but for a mere mortal like me, this sounds nice. A JBL BandPass enclosure with 12" sub. Alpine class D high efficiency (MosFET) sub amp puts out 740 watts RMS (as tested). Fabricated a shelf to get everything as low as possible, solved the exposed spare tire problem by flipping it over and installing a nice full moon wheel cover. Fabricated a clear scratch-resistant polycarbonate cover I can put the carpet over that, and/or can install a modified stock panel on the top position to hide everything. Gain is turned way down for now, until I upgrade the rest of the system, but still a huge improvement.

Last edited by c2vette; 02-17-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:22 PM

heres mine, still utilizez the factory spare tire.amps under front seats...2X 12in, JL amps, Focal 6.5 seperates, avic-d3,with bluetooth,ipod.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 PM

Oh that's nice. Especially in a panel.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Here is my install before the vinyl. The top panel is now gray vinyl which will be dyed to match the factory interior.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

very nice installs. Looks classy and high end to me.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 PM

The Ultimate Setup

I am not one to brag, but I think I finally came up with the ultimate way to set up the HHR. If you recall, I started a thread called "Thinking Outside the Box'. My idea was to try to use the factory panal for a 10 inch freeair sub. My goal was to have great sound without sacrificing storage space, the ability to open up the large compartment over the spare tire, and retaining use of both storage bins behind the back seats. I also wanted to keep my spare tire in the car, and locate the amps where they would not overheat. Plus it had to look good, since I show my car.

I think I accomplished everything. But keep in mind that it is not completed yet. I still need to carpet the box and neaten up the wires a little more. Plus, I am working on a cover for the amps-something that goes over them to conceal them when the car is parked.

Here are the photographs:

The seat still reclines, giving access to the storage bin.

The box is angled so it fits right up behind the seat. It is shallow enough so that it does not block the big compartment. I built the box to the exact specifications for the 10 inch Kappa: .75 cubic feet.
Please, no comments about all the junk under there. I know it has to be cleaned out and organized!

The system sounds awesome. Bass is incredible; it actually makes your hair go up on end. Amps are MTX 280 watt 4 channel, and Alpine 400 watt mono. Head unit is Pioneer 9800BT. Door speakers are 7 year old Rockford Fosgate, that are soon to be replaced. Tweeter is factory. I am considering getting separates for the front, and replacing the tweeter in the process with full range for the rear. Just havent decided which ones-any suggestions? They have to handle 70 watts each.

Last edited by Lee3333; 03-07-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Lee3333, that looks pretty good actually. creative, and still functional. fold-flat functionality for a large, flat load area unfortunately is ultimately lost, but you gotta prioritize what's important to you, as it is, of course, your car. i would suggest considering maybe carpeting the board the amps are on when you carpet the box too, just so it all matches. if you're already planning on it, cool, i just didn't see it mentioned.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM

I want to make a cover for the amps to conceal them when I park, and I will probably use the same black carpet. What I would really like to do is get some kind of black plastic solid mesh grill that would allow air flow for cooling, but would be removable for adjustments and car shows.

Remember that the sub easily is removed-just lift off the head rest and it comes right out-just one plug for the wiring. It is small and light enough to remove without problem, then there is just the 2 1/2 inch height of the amplifiers. I could always make a box that could slip over them for protection.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Navyflyer11
Can't wait
Waited long enough Just wanted to show the end result unless i add headrest monitors. Replaced the audiobahn sub and amp at different times as it failed never again will I buy audiobahn. First is the alpine 12" type S subs:

With the sony xplod amp for subs (got before going to alpine) and alpine mrp-f300 amp for the alpine type r 6.5" door speakers:

Got a 4 gauge wire kit and a kinetik 800 power cell. Just recently put in the alpine amp had the alpine door speakers installed before would max out volume(35) now I can bearly turn volume to 22 before getting a headache I am going to make a new amp rack sometime this summer before cedar point meet and clean it up more.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
Waited long enough
And the wait is over!

Quick Reply: Various HHR Sub Installs...