Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM

What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?

I am a new 2009 HHR owner, with a standard radio (single CD with 3.5mm jack). I would like to purchase (used?) the top of the line radio with the USB jack and bluetooth capable. My HHR was on the dealer lot and was priced to move, but no options were available.

Is the bluetooth part of the radio, or is it just a module installed in the dash? I can get older ('05-'08) radios with 6-CD changers, etc. but haven't found one yet with the USB jack, and none of them mention bluetooth. Currently, I'm using my Navigon GPS unit as my hands free bluetooth device (I'm in California).

Any advice (I'm on a limited budget, as is everyone) would be appreciated, especially OEM model numbers for the upgraded radio.

Update: I've looked at all the feeds in the forum dealing with this, so my question is probably redundant. Which model number do I need for the 2009 radio to replace mine? I don't like my dealer, so will try and do-it-myself. The other option is an after-market unit with DVD/TV/GPS/Bluetooth/Backup camera (that's gotta cost).

Last edited by UncleDannie; 02-24-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Redundant
Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Not sure on the audio equipment, but someone here knows! BTW, to the best place for anything Put a post in the introductions forum so everyone can see you're here!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Founding Member

For 2009 Bluetooth from GM is only available if you have Onstar. Onstar wouldn't have to be active but it needs the gen8 Onstar module. Check for option code UPF on the label in the glove box. If you don't have it, for now you would have to do aftermarket because GM does not offer a kit to install it.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM

ChevyMgr -

So If I have onstar I might be able to add this? I have an 08 though, does it have to be an 09 (is it a new module they are using)?

I would love more info on this and would really like to add the onstar to mine. Does it require the new radio then as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Just really happy someone asked this since I just got a new phone and entered the world of having a phone with bluetooth. I broke my phone a year and a half ago and used an old one I had until I couldn't live with it anymore. So I was behind the times for awhile.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the fast replies. Yes, I have OnStar (Verizon) and it is active. I use it for some phone calls, but I have 1000's of minutes available on my iPhone (AT&T) that would be cheaper to use than the Verizon. I would have to forward all my iPhone calls to the OnStar number every time I entered or exited the car. Currently, I'm using a Navigon 8100T GPS unit as a navigation/bluetooth unit. It works alright, but it would be cleaner to have a OEM solution.

I checked the little label in the glovebox, and alas, I didn't see an UPF. So, if I understand you correctly, I can quit looking for the upscale 2009 radio, and just buy a Pioneer AVIC unit and have it installed? Bummer!

Hey, Twistman, if you find out another solution, using OEM equipment, be sure to share with me and every one else.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by twistrman
ChevyMgr -

So If I have onstar I might be able to add this? I have an 08 though, does it have to be an 09 (is it a new module they are using)?

I would love more info on this and would really like to add the onstar to mine. Does it require the new radio then as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Just really happy someone asked this since I just got a new phone and entered the world of having a phone with bluetooth. I broke my phone a year and a half ago and used an old one I had until I couldn't live with it anymore. So I was behind the times for awhile.
Bluetooth is only available in 2009s and yes it has a new Onstar module. You can't add GM bluetooth to older models.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Anybody who has an 2009 hhr LT can you open up your center console and get the GM Part Number off the radio? I want the USB feature. PLEASE??? Thanks

Chevy MGR --> Can you look this up? Price?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM

The bluetooth option on the GM website says "Requires leather-wrapped steering wheel with mounted audio controls" (does not mention usb radio). when you build an LT1 with leather there's no mention of bluetooth in the options. sooo.... maybe just adding the steering wheel radio controls to any '09 with on-star (which is standard) lets you enable bluetooth? The 2009 owner’s manual describes the pairing procedure using the steering wheel phone button (hold for 2 sec, say "bluetooth", doesn't work with my mirror button), so I would guess all you need is a 2009 with on-star and steering wheels controls and you may be set… any '09 owner tried?

Btw, the description of the Bluetooth operation sounds pretty nice, it uses the same system and phone number list as on-star. You can pair up to 5 phones, and when you go to make a call it is placed on the paired phone (if present, you can change phones if multiple phones present). If no phone is paired/present, it uses on-star to place the call.

Last edited by hhr9; 03-31-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 PM

Well, for starters, I was able to get a 2009 SS that was scrapped and bought the USB radio and the autodim mirror off the scrapper.

To NxlKing2304, the model # of my 2009 SS USB radio is 25964501, Ref No CQ-JG2863YC. It says Date of Manufacture: Sept 2008 by Panasonic.

I would really like to know if all I needed was the lousy steering wheel, I let that go to the scrap heap. If anyone can verify the steering wheel option is the secret to bluetooth, I'd be happy.

Still waiting to work up enough nerve to install the autodim mirror, hopefully, will get 'er done soon.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Bluetooth is not in the radio it is part of the OnStar system.

Quick Reply: What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?