Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Founding Member

Radio Programming and Setup
Each of the following service procedures require programming or setup procedures to be performed on the radio.

Radio Replacement
Important: The radio setup files will configure the radio amplifier (if equipped), internal equalization settings, and program the vehicle identification number (VIN). Without the following setup procedure, the sound quality and volume of the radio may be degraded.

For uplevel radios, setup is completed using the Service Programming System (SPS). Refer to Service Programming System (SPS).

If exchanging the same radio, from one vehicle to another, the VIN from the vehicle receiving the radio needs to be programmed with the scan tool.

For the base radio, use the program VIN procedure available in Special Functions menu of the scan tool. After programming the VIN cycle the ignition key with the retained accessory power (RAP) disabled.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Well, things just went from Bad to Terrible. Had an appointment this morning at Taft Chevrolet to have my radio 'unlocked'. The tech didn't speak English very well, and had a hard time understanding what I wanted. The Service Manager came over and interpreted for me, but they both said that they had no idea that this was necessary, and that they had never done one before. Great! I get to be the Test Case.

About 5 minutes later, the Tech came over and said he found the problem. My radio needed to be reprogrammed to match my speaker system. Apparently, the radio from the SS had an upgraded speaker system, but the Tech didn't know what program to use. If he just 'guessed' and was wrong, he could blow out the speakers or damage the radio. I had the VIN for the new radio, but the Tech said he would have to research it and find out what he needed to do.

The Service Manager charged me the $47.50 for the 5 minutes diagnostics (minimum charge) and stated that when they got the correct program to input, they would charge me another $47.50. Man, I got to find me another dealer. I'm not real positive, but I think I might have just been screwed, but without the customary kiss.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 PM

09 HHR LT2 without OnStar module?

I just bought an 09 HHR LT2. It has the bluetooth steering wheel, however this vehicle doesn't have OnStar. I checked the Card in the glove box, and it doesn't list the UPF code on it. I bought this vehicle used. After checking Carfax, I was made aware that the first owner was a major car rental company. I thought that OnStar was standard in LT models?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM

This question probably qualifies for its own thread as it is unrelated to the original subject.

Recheck your codes, I believe UE1 is the RPO Code for OnStar for the 2009. The thread that lists all the RPO Codes is not entirely accurate. The FSM does show the OnStar as a deleteable item, so you may indeed not have it and then again it could be something that just needs to be turned on in dealer programming. Good luck.

I don’t know why GM would not equip the vehicle with the OnStar function, after all most rentals get resold to consumers who them may want to sign up.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Bluetooth issue

Thanks for the reply, I checked for a UE1 code, and it's not there. I do see a UE0 code. After checking the paperwork it does state that the OnStar/Bluetooth/deleted. So they took it out of the vehicle? I do know when I push the bluetooth button on the steering wheel the radio mutes. Hmmm
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 PM

major car rental company's order allot of cars from GM, They can order them with what they want to get the price they want to pay. As you have read in this forum some of the early rentals A/T were built with remote start deleted like mine and alot of others. I worked at a very large Chevy dealer in central FL. that did a lot of rental service. I saw alot of very strange opt. on rentals some were to try on the fleet to get a test others were to get cust. feed back.
In central Fl. [Orlando] there is alot of rental cars,trucks,vans, SUV everywhere. dealers. rental co. sales, used car lots big & small. So hearing that this car was a X rental and it has this or it don,t have that and it should is not surprising at all to me
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM

I just saw (today) an On-Star module for the HHR on eBay. But even having that, you need the 16 pin plug for the mirror, so you can actually access the OnStar. As far as the Bluetooth, goes, I don't think there is anyway on this planet that you will be able to access it unless you purchase a whole new car.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the input. To tell you the truth, I don't need the OnStar, I was just fascinated with the bluetooth capability. In saying that I will just go out and purchase a Blue Ant Super Bluetooth. It's about $100 at Sams. BTW it looks as if the only thing deleted from this LT2 was the OnStar/Bluetooth. Everything else to include a few extra are installed.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM

I went to Sams and bought the Blue Ant Supertooth. Talk about Sweet! The best $100.00 investment I ever had. Anyway it works great. Even though my LT2 had the OnStar/Bluetooth deleted the controls on my steering wheel work. So when I receive a call I push the mute and press the talk button and vola!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM

FYI, Amazon is selling the BlueAnt Supertooth Light Bluetooth Speakerphone (mentioned by okienole) for 50 bucks...unless you have a different/newer model.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?