Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

what makes the stereo loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM

what makes the stereo loud?

Don't make fun of me now but is it the stereo or the speakers that create the loudness? My stereo seems quiet and I'm wondering if I just get new speakers will it be louder?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Simple answer, is determined by a simple question: is the volume control on the stereo, or on the speakers?

Actually that is a valid question - of course it is the stereo that determines the loudness - it's output is determined by how many watts of output it will produce. The more watts, the louder it will sound.

However many people assume that if they buy speakers that say 200 watts on the package, they will be a whole lot louder than the set that says only 100 watts. Actually that is the maximum that the speakers can handle. So if you push 200 watts from the stereo into a set of speakers rated at 100 watts, it is very likely that you will "blow" the speakers.

With all that said, it is possible to change speakers and end up with ones that are actually louder than the ones being replaced. The sensitivity and the impedance of the speaker come into play here - a great article to read if you want to explorer further: Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained | Audioholics
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Simple answer, is determined by a simple question: is the volume control on the stereo, or on the speakers?

Actually that is a valid question - of course it is the stereo that determines the loudness - it's output is determined by how many watts of output it will produce. The more watts, the louder it will sound.

However many people assume that if they buy speakers that say 200 watts on the package, they will be a whole lot louder than the set that says only 100 watts. Actually that is the maximum that the speakers can handle. So if you push 200 watts from the stereo into a set of speakers rated at 100 watts, it is very likely that you will "blow" the speakers.

With all that said, it is possible to change speakers and end up with ones that are actually louder than the ones being replaced. The sensitivity and the impedance of the speaker come into play here - a great article to read if you want to explorer further: Loudspeaker Sensitivity & Impedance Explained | Audioholics
Thank you Whopper! 8-) That makes total sense. I will go read the article. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 PM

In short, if you have the original system in good working order but still want it louder, you are looking at installing an amplifier at least. Then I think the original speakers will still be limiting, so you will probably want to replace them too, just the front ones to start with. And don't get the cheapest ones, with speakers you usually get what you pay for.
After that you get into subwoofer, new head unit, sound processor and multiple amp setups that may be more than you need, depends on how much volume, sound quality, money, interior space you are comfortable with.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Deceased

X2 to both whopper's and prod's answers, well done guys!!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by prod
In short, if you have the original system in good working order but still want it louder, you are looking at installing an amplifier at least. Then I think the original speakers will still be limiting, so you will probably want to replace them too, just the front ones to start with. And don't get the cheapest ones, with speakers you usually get what you pay for.
After that you get into subwoofer, new head unit, sound processor and multiple amp setups that may be more than you need, depends on how much volume, sound quality, money, interior space you are comfortable with.
Awesome, thank you Prod...that's great info. The stereo is fabulous, just seems a little on the quiet side. I'd have to have the work done for me as I'm not very car or stereo savvy.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Administrator

which stereo system do you have in your HHR, mine has a auto volume control to make it louder as you drive and quieter as you stop , I have the factory Pioneer Premium sound system with amp and sub built into the drivers side rear cargo area.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
which stereo system do you have in your HHR, mine has a auto volume control to make it louder as you drive and quieter as you stop , I have the factory Pioneer Premium sound system with amp and sub built into the drivers side rear cargo area.
Well, I think it's the premium stereo but I don't see Pioneer on it. It has a 6 CD player. I'll look at my manual to learn more about it. I'll see if I have the auto volume control. Thank you Old Blue.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM

I noted you are in "Southern California" and if you are in the San Diego area you can stop by and look at the system I have in mine. I installed one of the Pioneer AVIC X950BH head units with a wireless backup camera. I had the premium head unit and speakers and the fellow at the shop in Imperial Beach just off I-5 said the stock parts will work great with the new head unit. He was right and I can get folks to yell at me to turn down the music when all the windows are down and it generally shocks them to see I am an old guy!

The man at the sound shop said it is "sound quality" you want and not just loudness and I have great quality for sure! He said all the pieces have to be setup to work together correctly or strange noises will happen!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 AM

Hey oldracer, I'm in the Inland Empire. San Diego is 2 hours away. Though it would be fun to take a road trip to check out your system. 8-) Well, until I save up a bit of money, all "fun" things are on hold. But thank you for the offer. The stereo isn't bad at all, just seems a little quiet. I still love driving around in this vehicle so much more than I have in any other car I've owned. Love my HHR!!

Quick Reply: what makes the stereo loud?