Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Yet another thread about stock stereos ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Yet another thread about stock stereos ;-)

Ok, so I have the basic stock stereo.
According to the VIN decoder, the RPO is U1C.
And I have the 6-speaker system UW5.

While my ultimate goal would be a killer double-din touchscreen system, I can't really afford that right now.

So.... I'd like to at least upgrade to the MP3-disc capable system (US8). I believe that part number 25780239 will work. Correct?

I was interested in the 6-disc version 15299285, but then on the VIN decoder page it doesn't list US9 as an RPO option for my car (2008 LS). Is that just because it's an LS, or had they discontinued the 6-disc by then?
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=+3GNDA33D78S597464+

I only ask because the guy at the local GM service department was adamant that if I brought in an upgraded stereo to be unlocked, I need to make sure that not only do the model numbers match, but that the software matches. I need to assure him that the software for the 6-disc wasn't left out of the 2008 system.

Oh, and I have an ebony interior (and no other HHRs to compare to). Are all stock radios the same shade of gray? I'd hate to order one and find it sticking out like a sore thumb because it was too light.

I've called several local service departments. Prices for unlocking range from $75 - $95 - $200. Ugh. Still cheaper than the wiring harness for an aftermarket.

Thanks,

-Joe