Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

2010 HHR Bad braking system on bumpy roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Might also be a wheel speed sensor (Hub) problem; I had an issue where the ABS would activate at low speeds, parking lots and actually cause the pedal to fall to the floor. It was very scary.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Might also be a wheel speed sensor (Hub) problem; I had an issue where the ABS would activate at low speeds, parking lots and actually cause the pedal to fall to the floor. It was very scary.
Not necessarily a problem, more likely working properly. On an extremely uneven surface the wheel will be rolling at different speeds.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Not necessarily a problem, more likely working properly. On an extremely uneven surface, the wheel will be rolling at different speeds.
Well, mine would activate while just turning into a parking space, and trip the ABS and TC lights until restart
Old 09-26-2019, 12:08 PM

But we weren't talking about your case.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 AM
geg

Originally Posted by donbrew
You had to pump the brakes because the ABS was pumping the brakes. I see you are in California you likely have never experienced ABS on ice; the instructions are DON'T pump the brakes. The ABS is trying to avoid a 4 wheel lockup and you are trying to produce a 4 wheel lockup.
The noise the pump makes is open to interpretation, it is loud and scary the first time.

But, like I said: if that doesn't satisfy go to a professional brake shop.
Originally Posted by aradmahogany
X2 But...
A small comment from a person checking the performance of automotive systems for an insurance company.
1. The operation of the ABS is felt like a distinct crackle in the front of the car, not accompanied by vibration on the steering wheel or the car body. This crackle can be compared to the crackle of a playing card, if you lean it against the rotating spokes of a bicycle. The operation of the ABS is also felt by the foot on the brake pedal - these are shocks from the bottom up in the rhythm of a crackling sound, the pedal resists pressing. When the ABS is operating, the sensations on the pedals are 100% of the time, but their strength can be more or less depending on the make of the car.
2. To check the ABS does not need ice or high speeds. This can be done in the parking lot. Start, reach a speed of 5-8 mph, continue driving at that speed for 1 to 3 seconds, then sharply depress the brake pedal to the stop and hold it until the car stops completely. If the ABS is working, it will work on the first or second test attempt. Important for safety !!! Before testing, make sure that the empty space in front of you is at least 150 to 200 meters clear. Choose a place where the unexpected appearance of cars from driveways or turns is ruled out. Choose a place where unexpected jumping of people (children, animals) in front of your car is excluded.
3. When operating the ABS, the brake pedal should not lie on the floor, this should remain resilient. If the pedal rests on the floor, the brake system is malfunctioning or the brake fluid has lost its quality or volume. It does not depend on whether the car is equipped with an ABS system or not.

Jacqueline, don't break your head. We can talk a lot, but it still gives one result - a visit to a car repair shop.
Therefore, just buy high-quality brake fluid and go pump your brakes. If new problems are identified during or after the work, we will be happy to discuss this as well.
Best wishes to you and your steel horse.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 AM

Okay, I'm tired and cranky from another week of dealing with thousands of people who think they now how to operate a car around a truck but don't, so my comment may sound brutal but...

You can fiddle fart around with a broken stereo, you can fiddle fart around with a defective ac system, you can fiddle fart around with every other system in your car but when it comes to the brake system, unless you are a licensed mechanic with plenty of experience with brake systems DON'T ^&*#$ with it. Take it to a good shop and pony up the cash to have experience look at it.

That being said, I myself work on the brakes of all my cars, I was a licensed semi-trailer mechanic for a while in my life. DONBREW, OLDBLUE, CAT_Man were (I believe) mechanics for a while as well and many of the others here are very experienced at auto repair DIY and can pull it off, but none of us here are going to be sitting beside you when you slam into something. This is one case where "if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it". Trying to trouble shoot a brake system online is foolish at best and down right irresponsible IMHO.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Just a thought, but another member reported the brake booster vacuum hose fitting was cracked, could be the source of the whoosh and pedal travel.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...um-leak-62290/