Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, VA

Hampton Roads 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Hampton Roads 2007

Looking to schedule G2G on July 8th. All Welcome. Now lets get some Interested HHR owners posting ideas and times. (If the date is not appropriate what date works?). I would like to suggest a BB-que at Newport News Park at noon, Then a cruise through the Colonial Parkway past the Jamestown Settlement, take the ferry over to Surry and ride over to Wakefield Diner for Dessert?. Just my
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Jesse,

Great idea and looking forward to another G2G down here! Hope we can get more this time.

First, the 8th sounds good to me, but some may have issue with the 4th being in the middle of the week and have other plans for the week. Folks, how about chiming in on this?

Newport News Park is a great place! Fantastic for a picnic, and much more to do, too! Nice lake, boats for rent, fishing, hiking, biking and more! I vote for there for sure!

Colonial Parkway is a great scenic road for a cruise. Nice frequent stop areas for photo ops, too!

The Surry - Jamestown ferry is a neat ride, too!

Oh, it's the Virginia Diner I think you're talking about. It's in Wakefield. Fantastic deserts! Here's a paste from their website:

Desserts
Our homemade desserts are baked daily using the very freshest country ingredients.

Peanut Pie - Our Famous Peanutty Pie starts with Virginia Diner Gourmet Peanuts in a rich filling nestled in a flaky crust. We're known throughout the world for this pastry.
Chess Pie - almost a pudding...almost a pie in a light crust. Chocolate served with whipped cream.
Apple Pie - an All-American favorite baked the traditional Southern way and topped off with a sprinkle of sugar. The perfect ending to a down-home country meal.
Cobbler - juicy fruit and flaky crust combined into a satisfying complement to your meal or as a special treat all by itself.

And Don't Forget The Ice Cream! - Top your favorite pie or cobbler with our creamy ice cream.
Or enjoy a scoop of Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream for that simple, but sweet, grand finale!

The Virginia Diner's Notorious Pie Baker
Meet Mary, The Virginia Diner's famous pie baker! Mary has been working here for 25 years and, of course, she's considered one of the family. During this time, she's kept up the family recipes, invented quite a few, and she's still testing new ones. But the Peanutty Pie will always be a favorite. Her serving suggestion: slightly warm and top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

One warning though.... I've eaten with Jesse. Make sure you order before he does, otherwise it may be all gone!!

Folks, let's chime in on this and have a fun event!!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Jesse, Put me down as a maybe. It sounds great, and my girlfriend and I have been talking about hitting Jamestown this year. We're both rabid history buffs (and CW reenactors, I was one of McClelland's invading Yankees at the "Battle of Gaine's Mill" in Richmond last Saturday). Have to see how our schedules shake out, though. We've also talked about going to Mt. Vernon on the 4th, they have a Revolutionary War reenactment there then. Last had dinner in '99 at the Virginia Diner, unfortunately it was after the old original building burned. The food was great, but the atmosphere wasn't quite the same. The original building was built around an old passenger coach from the "Surry, Sussex, & Southhampton RR", which was abandoned in the 1930's.

Regards,

Gary
Old 06-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Gary, not sure how familiar you are with the Hampton Roads area, but Colonial Parkway (~26 mi. long) links Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown. Lots for a history buff. If you're from the Roanoke area, coming down Rt. 460 will take you through Appomattox, too. Lots more!

And, if you want to see history being made, you can watch Jesse set a Guinness World Record for peanut pie consumption!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 PM

Joe, I don't know Hampton Roads well, but I've covered every mile of 460 from the coast well into Kentucky many times. I can drive parts of it blindfolded. I grew up 1/4 mile off it, and regularly travel it as far east as Appomattox. (have friends and relatives in that area, and reenact there frequently) Traveled it to Burkeville and back last weekend, on the way to and from Richmond. As I said, I'd like to make it, but it depends on a lot of factors, including budget. We're allready committed to visit friends in Baltimore in late July, doing Gettysburg and the B&O Museum. I'd enjoy doing a "car" or "train" event soon, the spring has been very heavy on the Civil War. If I can't make it , I'll be there in spirit, and ask that y'all consume an adult beverage or two in my honor. At some point, maybe later in the year, I'd love to organize a get together to bring you "flatlanders" west to the mountains.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Thanks Gray that would be cool. By the way Dont let JoeR fool you, he is the peanut eating monster! lol