Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

ABS & Traction Light warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM

ABS & Traction Light warning lights

My son has a 2009 HHR 2.4L. The ABS & traction light came on all of a sudden & the master cylinder was low on fluid. I had him put a bit of fluid in the MC until we can diagnose the problem. He got a verbal quote for $1400...wth?!

I tried to get the codes read, but I was told that only an ENGINE light can be read. Is this true?

We could really use some advice, so we can avoid the scammers...we're not mechanical at all.

THX!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Not quite sure what you are suggesting.

Are you saying whoever WAS going to read the OBD II said they did not have the CORRECT DEVICE to read the abs/traction fault....OR.....the fault light is no longer on so it cannot be read?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Lights are still ON...tech said they couldnt be read...unless it was an ENGINE light?

Thx for your response!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Technical Moderator

It takes a special tool and someone that has a clue to read the ABS codes. Find a new tech.

What makes you think complete strangers on the internets are not scammers?

Usual cause of ABS with TC lights and NO CEL is a wheel speed sensor has failed. That is part of the hub/bearing.

Has anything else happened around the time the warnings came on? Odd noises etc.

A quote of $1400 dollars for a new engine installed is a good deal, to check the tire air pressure it's expensive. WTH?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:37 PM

HAAA....you're a funny guy, Don! And I trust HHR.net 'cuz you guys are talented, nice....and very helpful! :)

My son lives in LA...and seems everyone here is on the take. The guy who quoted me $1400 is the same guy who replaced our oil sensor solenoids last summer...which he did per MY request...due to the AMAZING info that is posted on this site!! I do believe that you were involved in solving that 'mystery' for us, too...so, thx again!

Back to the current issue, I don't know what you're referring to when you mentioned: NO CEL(?). The ABS & Traction lights are on now...but NO strange noises, vibrations or pulling.

Initially, upon braking, the pedal 'stuttered' a bit and seemed to become more resistant to braking to a complete stop....and it also made a slight 'groaning' sound.

But the $1400 tech DID flush the brake fluid during diagnostics...stating that the MC was a bit grimy & the brake fluid level was low. Since then, the issue has abated....but the ABS & Traction lights are still on.

Any ideas from this riveting account?! LOL

My hope is that we just need to get a good, ol' fashioned brake job!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:22 AM
Administrator

It is possible the brakes were bled incorrectly or the ABS connections were damaged somehow.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Technical Moderator

CheckEngineLight.

If you do have a CEL and TC and ABS,there could be other problems causing the TC & ABS.

If the ABS light is on a mechanic with the correct tool CAN read the ABS fault.

The "stutter" and "groaning" is the ABS being activated. Have the brakes been inspected for wear, have the rear brakes been manually adjusted? If the brakes are good you probably have a bad hub, although the ABS module could have failed.

You have not told us what the $1400 estimate was for. That is about normal for a complete brake job; pads shoes etc.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

My concern would be the low brake fluid. Does it have a leak ? Or did you mistakenly top off the fluid. If the brake pads are worn out, the brake fluid level will show low. Many people think the fluid level is supposed to be kept full at all times which is wrong.

Also. Is this car a automatic trans. or 5 speed ? The 5 speed cars brake fluid reseivoir also contains the fluid for the hydraulic clutch system. If you have a clutch system leak it will lose the brake fluid.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM

I tried going to Advance Auto and they could not read the ABS/TC light. So i went to Oriely's cause my check engine light was on. They where able to read the ABS/TC light ( mine was coming on and off). Light was off when they tested it and its my right rear sensor going bad.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM
Administrator

So then change the rear hubs as a pair.

Quick Reply: ABS & Traction Light warning lights