Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Adjustable camber bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 AM

Is it too late to use RockAuto ? Use the discount code also.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401
Old 02-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Yes Sir, I'm ordering from RockAuto with the discount. I do see they have multiple manufacturers of various parts. For example with the control arms they have MOOG, MEVOTECH, AUTOTECHNICA, and SKP. Some of these brands I've never heard of. From your own experience, are all the brands they carry reputable? Would I be good going with either? Any I should stay away from? There are no reviews on their site to sift through, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Here’s an easy to remember brand name, Moog.
they’re LCA’s are the correct cast aluminum part.
They’re ball joints are greasable, come with zerks.
for struts, then Moog or Monroe for quick strut assemblies, I also like KYB, I’ve had them in Oldblue for 8 years and 175,000 miles
Old 02-23-2019, 08:00 AM

Fyww
Just make sure that both sides are available.
P.S. It would be interesting to see why stamp steel lower control arms are different from the aluminum ones.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Yes, I’d like to measure several points to confirm, they aren’t for the HHR , the last set of stamped steel arms , I tossed in the scrap metal heap.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:43 AM
Technical Moderator

Since I never heard of DNA Motoring before I am thinking they sell "collision" parts; they are good enough to pass on to the next owner; if you sell it quick enough.
The ONLY way to adjust caster is to do a body pull.
The quality of HHR parts is declining with age. Don't be fooled by "trade names" that you have heard before like Moog printed on a box. Almost all parts are "cheap Chinese" packaged in pretty boxes.
Never trust a vendor that says "fits all" regarding suspension parts for HHR.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Administrator

We can vouch for our part numbers list, thanks again to Whopper

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-thread-48833/
Old 02-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

My opinion. There are a lot of those cheap, steel stamped arms out there that claim they fit the HHR. They most likely do "fit", BUT, I think they just aren't made as close to the specs as most of the aluminum ones are.
In other words, some may work,but some may be so far from spec that it affects the geometry of the suspension. It is a gamble to try the steel ones. Read several posts over the years that seem to back up my opinion.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Really appreciate all the sound advice, guys. This is a learning process for sure. Never occurred to me to consider whether the parts being pressed steel or forged aluminum would make a difference in quality/fit/performance. But then again it was only recently that I learned not only what a Starter does (duh) but where it was and how to install one. Half of my repairs/replacements are out of necessity and the other half are out of my own curiosity to learn more about my car and mechanics in general. I'm having my son work with me on a lot of this so that he doesn't end up being a clueless 40 year old like his old man. :)

As for Chinese parts ... Rather than buy more stuff sight unseen from Amazon or Ebay, I picked up a pair of sway bar links and tie rod ends from O'Reilly here in town. The brand on both is MasterPro, which I've never heard of but that's not surprising since I'm new to all of this. But I did notice that they were "Made in China." That left me a bit unsettled, but the parts do have a limited lifetime warranty, so if they crap out on me from normal usage, I will return them. A lot of this is trial and error, but with diligent research and advice from those who have been-there-done-that, I hope to minimize the error part. A big THANK YOU to all you guys for helping me out so much!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Technical Moderator

End links are another problem. Most parts books list the 12 inc links incorrectly; they should measure 10 (9.86) inches center to center. K750012 NOT K80252!!!!

Oreilly even lists a different link for FE5!

Quick Reply: Adjustable camber bolts