Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Anti-Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Yes it would bring back the push the original car had. The degree of oversteer and understeer depends on the front vs rear sway bar. I have the rear progress tech sway bar and it has caused my car to almost oversteer in some cases, which is what I like. Understeer ("pushing") is generally safer, but will interfere with good handling when you push the car hard (and know what you're doing). It all depends on what YOU want for YOUR car, there is no "right answer" for everyone on the understeer vs oversteer issue. Most front wheel drive cars understeer pretty heavily from the factory.

There was a post on this forum somewhere from Hib Halverson that did a real good job of describing the pluses and minuses of adding a rear sway bar and changing the handling balance.

Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by fastsuv
There was a post on this forum somewhere from Hib Halverson that did a real good job of describing the pluses and minuses of adding a rear sway bar and changing the handling balance.
For your reading enjoyment

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...1&postcount=29
Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
Yes it would bring back the push the original car had. The degree of oversteer and understeer depends on the front vs rear sway bar. I have the rear progress tech sway bar and it has caused my car to almost oversteer in some cases, which is what I like. Understeer ("pushing") is generally safer, but will interfere with good handling when you push the car hard (and know what you're doing). It all depends on what YOU want for YOUR car, there is no "right answer" for everyone on the understeer vs oversteer issue. Most front wheel drive cars understeer pretty heavily from the factory.

Steve
The HHR is NOT going to oversteer without some major weight transferring ,brake input ,or lifting on the throttle mid corner sway bar or not.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM

That link does point out some of the reasons I decided not to get a rear bar.
I had one on a previous car, and the way it "skipped" around typical high speed corners was just plain scary. Would be a different story on a nice smooth racetrack though.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I finally installed my Progress Tech's rear bar. Now mind you, I dont drive my 08 2LT like its a Porsche. What I have noticed is getting on the freeway, making spirited lane changes, etc are noticeably more controlled now. The car doesnt lean as much. Also, I thought by tying the rear control arms would make it more clunky going over bumps. It's just the opposite. Im happy with my results.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 AM

You have found a "nice smooth racetrack" Nascar & F1 is looking for one
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
I finally installed my Progress Tech's rear bar. Now mind you, I dont drive my 08 2LT like its a Porsche. What I have noticed is getting on the freeway, making spirited lane changes, etc are noticeably more controlled now. The car doesnt lean as much. Also, I thought by tying the rear control arms would make it more clunky going over bumps. It's just the opposite. Im happy with my results.
I put mine on yesterday, it is a noticeable difference it is still very balanced at the limit they should have put this on stock.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by prod
That link does point out some of the reasons I decided not to get a rear bar.
I had one on a previous car, and the way it "skipped" around typical high speed corners was just plain scary.
Anything with a solid beam axle is going to skip, with or without a sway bar.

My other FWD cars with solid/beam axles did.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Wow! Hib Halverson's article above, is awesome! Well done! That said, my plans are for; Eibach Pro Kit 1" front, 1.6" rear drop, KYB struts and shocks, Eibach 25mm rear swaybar, on top of 18/45/225 Continetal Extreme Contacts, Enkei wheels with a 42mm offset. I may change the wheels to stocks SS issue if I can find the "right" wheels (Enkei is out of stock). From what I have heard, this should pretty closely approximate the SS suspension, maybe a tad stiffer. I love this group!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM

OK, so I have a dumb question. I've read this whole thread, and I still not sure.
Is the rear stock anti-sway bar on 2LT, just a larger/thicker cross member stiffener (inside the "V" shaped piece with holes)?

The aftermarket anti sway bars clearly are an additional piece.

Is there a way to tell just by looking at the two rear axles? i.e. comparing a 2LT to a 1LT or LS?

Thanks!