Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Anti-Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:58 PM

Anti-Sway Bars

I did a search on this forum and came up with the SEMA posting https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ight=sway+bars
saying that ADDCO made anti-sway bars for the SEMA show vehicle. After looking at the ADDCO web site, the HHR is not listed (imagine that!)

So... who makes sway bars for these cars? It seriously needs them.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:14 AM

Lowering your HHR will reduce body roll, acceleration "squat" and braking nosedive quite a bit. The car will also corner like it's on rails. I have an email in to ADDCO to find out if they are interested in producing some aftermarket anti-sway bars for us. Will keep you posted...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 AM

I've been checking with another vendor for some time now.. , for sway bars... (been on it for some time.. will keep you advise)

When I drove My HHR, I noticed alot of rear end swaying.

You can check so also, by going down the road and slightly turning the steering back and forth very slightly.. then you will notice how the rear end is spongy.

And if you very daring also, crawl underneath your vehicle , and you will notice you only have a front sway bar and no rear one...... Takes no genuis to see that...
Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 PM

you really don't need a sway bar for the back of the car. All you have to do is weigh the back down a little bit. A couple of 12" or 15" subs in the back should do the trick.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:35 PM

My HHR is lowered and I have a 65lb. bandpass box back there with 2 Audiobahn 10's in it.

Sway bars are still needed!
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by hvrod
And if you very daring also, crawl underneath your vehicle...
You mean "very skinny."
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM

Sway bar info:

From the specs that I've seen the LS and 1LT with the Touring Suspension have a 19 mm front bar. The 2LT has a 22 mm bar. No mention of the rear, but....

When I put my Gold-Line springs in, I thought I saw one! Just ran it up the ramps a bit ago... The 2LT has a rear sway bar! Between the 2 trailing links there is an inverted "V" twist arm. On my 2LT there is a round bar inside it, welded to the trailing arms. It is about 22 mm dia. Does either the LS or 1LT have this?

As to availibility....

Some time ago I called Addco. Talked to the Pres., who didn't even know what an HHR was! No info as to when bars from them would be available.

Also called Eibach... they said that HHR bars were "in development" and should be available this month. They have a kit for the Cobalt (same platform) but said some component locations were a problem and that they were "close" to a revised configuration that would work for both. Please note that this is from a company who still markets springs for the HHR that have the same part number as the Cobalt and are rumored to be too soft in the rear for the added weight of the HHR in the rear.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
You mean "very skinny."
You only need to be very skinny to get under YOUR car, Mike

I can get under mine just fine with no jack....

Becky
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 PM

But you are skinny Becky!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:03 AM

I am about to do the first oil change on the car so I will go under there to see whats I have. I really have my doubts that there is a rear bar. If there is one... it isn't sufficient.

I also have an e-mail into ADDCO. When the bars do become available, I will most likely replace them both with larger ones.

As for lowering the car. I thought about it, and usually I would jump at lowering the car. But (for now at least) I will pass on lowering it. I think the addition of the sway bar will fix my problem.

Quick Reply: Anti-Sway Bars