Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Anti-Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 PM

LOL... Yep, many times I've seen track modified FWD cars lifting the inside rear cornering. Also have seen Porches cornering with the inside front in the air, too.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:28 AM

I asked a question earlier about whether the LS or 1LT already had a rear sway bar and haven't seen any answers yet.... so:

The weekend's homework assignment >>> Get under your HHR and look up inside the inverted "V" torque tube that connects across the two trailing arms. Is there a sway bar in there? Note your model and if you can, measure the diameter. Now get out there and report back!

The 2LT already has a rear bar there. The dia. (just a quick measure w/ a ruler) is about 22 mm dia. The LS and 1LT have a 19 mm front bar; 22mm on the 2LT, according to GM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

I can't check because I have a 2LT, otherwise I would.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
I asked a question earlier about whether the LS or 1LT already had a rear sway bar and haven't seen any answers yet.... so:

The weekend's homework assignment >>> Get under your HHR and look up inside the inverted "V" torque tube that connects across the two trailing arms. Is there a sway bar in there? Note your model and if you can, measure the diameter. Now get out there and report back!

The 2LT already has a rear bar there. The dia. (just a quick measure w/ a ruler) is about 22 mm dia. The LS and 1LT have a 19 mm front bar; 22mm on the 2LT, according to GM.
Just squeezed under mine (a 2LT - 17" tires w/sport suspension pkg)... yes, correct, there's a sway bar running through/inside/across the back tube.

Curiousity got the best of me... had to check for myself! Glad I did.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:17 AM

Wonder if that stock GM sway bar would work in conjuction w/ SoCal's rear bar? OR would that be overkill?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Rear Anti-Sway bar needed ???

Hey.... interesting "thing" happened today.

I was on one of the local Interstates, driving about 70 mph, and a tractor trailer in front of me blew and shreaded a tire. I evaded the large rubber tire shread by manuevering very drastically. But, the rear of my HHR "wobbled" and swayed so bad that I believe one of the rear tires displayed daylight underneath.

Because I have always had some type of "sport or touring" vehicle, I will not accept this type performance.

I just ordered an anti-sway bar from SoCalHHR.

I will let you know the outcome.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:15 PM

The swaybar is high on my to-do list....

Ng
Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 AM

Question

I have a 2LT and ordered the Socal sway bar. Perhaps I did not need to? The way the car handled I thought it could use it. Now I read that the 2LT has one? I guess I'll crawl under and see......
Hmm......My wife took the car to Newport today. Guess I'll be driving the Buick!
Does the "stock" Anti Sway bar bolt into the same area? If not would there be any benefit to adding the Socal as well if they do not physically interfere with each other? Just wondering.

If they are not compatible, and I have a stock one ( I should have looked into it further, I know), I guess I'll be returning the Socal one when it gets here
Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 AM

The "Stock" HHR does NOT have a rear sway bar. It does have a small bar running inside the rear channel, but it definately is not a sway bar.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by RDosdorian
The "Stock" HHR does NOT have a rear sway bar. It does have a small bar running inside the rear channel, but it definately is not a sway bar.
Ok, folks are saying that the L2's have something there which they are calling a "sway bar". This item is supposedly not on some other models? That is Just what I'm trying to figure out from our forums.
I wish my car was here so I could look beneath it. Ah, well, in good time

Quick Reply: Anti-Sway Bars