Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Brembos up front, Disc Rear on 06 2LT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by RollinKaos
They are 4 piston calipers but I am sure they dont look as nice as the brembos
They are rebuilds..and notice they willnot show a side view of the logo...they are Brembo's..there is no other maker or these models..since tyhey are stripped..they will have to be repainted..small beans..and if you return the "cores" to a uninformed counter person, they may not notice they are single pistons..so 76$ for a brembo is a steal
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by pbatmen
Thanks, Here is one,the rears are not as cool as the front, all I did is find a cobalt ss rear axle end and bolt it on, very easy, but I found out the calipers are used for the parking brake and adjusting the rear parking brake is a must for a better pedal feel.

kewl,,,,,, only thing I see wrong is the tire chose
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by papa_jo
kewl,,,,,, only thing I see wrong is the tire chose
What is wrong with DWS's? They are fantastic tires.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
What is wrong with DWS's? They are fantastic tires.
haha, you hit it on the head solman98, those are great tires all around. Update on the conversion after a year and close to 20 k miles on the Rear disc conversion and Brembos, everything still works great, replaced the rear pads, and the fronts are hardly worn, the pads in the front and rotors are great, my OEM front brakes would warp after 15 k miles. Knock on wood everything is still safe and functional.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Is there a parts list or donor info on what is the most effective way to do these conversions if one wanted. Brembos would look real cool on the HHR.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by HHRLT
Is there a parts list or donor info on what is the most effective way to do these conversions if one wanted. Brembos would look real cool on the HHR.
you will need a rear axle beam from a hhr ss, cobalt ss, ion redline with disc brakes to convert the rear, as far as the Brembo calipers I think the HHR SS had them in 09 and up or the Cobalt SS 08 and up, these were an option for these cars so if you go to a salvage yard like I did you need to be specific in asking for the Brembo 4 piston Calipers for the front. I got my axle beam from a junk yard of 84 in NY close to Ct border, and I got my front Brembo Calipers from a salvage yard out West. good luck
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM

bump for bad03extreme
Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 PM
RF2

brake upgrade.

can any one post a pic of the back side of the disc brake? Doing a upgrade myself, Machining mounting brackets for calipers. I have an idea what might work but a pic would help. thanks all.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gary B
Well.....I finally did my brake upgrades. Same as Pbatmen. Brembos up front and Cobalt SS rear axle. I tried to remember to take lots of pictures, but probably not as many as I should have.
The front was ridiculously simple. Unbolt the old caliper and set aside with hose attached. slip off rotor and replace with Brembo rotor. Install Brembo caliper with two bolts mounted to old caliper bracket mount position and remove and install brake hose(I used brand new GM ones and they came with the brackets and retainer bolt with copper washers. I did not use the spacers that are shown. They SS steering knuckle and hub and bearing assembly must be slightly larger than the 2LT one. I then gravity bled the system and the job was done. Then I started the rear.
do you have a part number for the break line you used or can i use my stock one?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lafinests213
do you have a part number for the break line you used or can i use my stock one?
I used new stock ones when I did the Brembos. same as old ones. they are cheap on rockauto.

Quick Reply: Brembos up front, Disc Rear on 06 2LT