Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Difference between "Touring" and "Sport" Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 PM

Difference between "Touring" and "Sport" Suspension?

I've searched, and can't find a definitive answer, so I'll ask it here.

I'm looking to buy my first HHR, and have tracked down one that's "Oh so close" to being IT.

I've been looking for a black panel that has the 2.4 engine and a sun roof. Figured I'd get a 2LT. Well, I found a 1LT that has the 2.4, sunroof, heated leather seats, power windows and seats and running boards.

Basically everything I would like except the roof rack and the sport suspension. I know I can add the rack whenever I want, so my thoughts turn to the suspension.

I asked the dealer if it had the sports suspension and if it was a 2LT.

He emailed me back that it was a 1LT and it has the "touring suspension".

Can someone give me a quick primer on the difference in the two?

I plan to lower or at least level it, so I'll probably be swapping out the springs, so what else, just sway bars, or are the shocks different enough that I need to change them, too.

My hot rod years are in the past, but I'd like something that handles decently (and won't wallow like a pig).

Teach me, oh gurus!
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Deceased

The touring suspension is a good everyday setup, not too firm, not too soft, just a good compromise.

The sport suspension is calibrated to take advantage of the lower profile 17" tires used on the 2LT, its a bit tighter and just a little rougher on broken pavement.

Both setups benefit greatly from the addition of a rear sway bar and premium tires, the stock Firestones leave a lot to be desired on ether setup.

And to answer your question in more detail, the shocks and springs do differ between the FE1 touring suspension and the FE3 sport suspension. You shouldn't need to replace shocks with leveling springs.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

FE1 = Touring suspension

FE3 = Sport tuned suspension..

The only difference in parts is the FE3 has the tuned struts & rear shocks..
Coil springs are the same on both.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Deceased

Yes you're right sleeper, I goofed! The springs are the same between the FE1 and FE3, I shall now beat my head on the desk for five minutes as punishment.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 PM

Thank you!

I appreciate the information!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 AM

Yeah...... gas charged shocks and struts seems to be the big difference besides the 17" wheels. There may also be a slightly shorter set of end links on the front sway bar for the FE3, but we haven't had enough guys measuring theirs and reporting back..... That's not a very big deal and end links is something you will probably be changing out at some point anyways. Same for shocks and struts, at first replacement due to wear use KYB and you will have the "sport" package........
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Yeah...... gas charged shocks and struts seems to be the big difference besides the 17" wheels. There may also be a slightly shorter set of end links on the front sway bar for the FE3, but we haven't had enough guys measuring theirs and reporting back..... That's not a very big deal and end links is something you will probably be changing out at some point anyways. Same for shocks and struts, at first replacement due to wear use KYB and you will have the "sport" package........
I have a 2LT (FE3) and my end links are the shorter version - approx 9 7/8" in length.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM

I test drove both back in 06, and to be honest, it both had the same wheel/tire setup, I really don't think you would notice much differance. Slight dampening difference on the 2LT is about it (other than tires).
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

I don't remember if the oem (front) sway bar is thicker on the 2LT or not ??
Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM

I think the 2LT has the same bar, but the shorter 9 7/8" end links....... I read that the SS is the only one with a different bar...... and it's thinner ???

Quick Reply: Difference between "Touring" and "Sport" Suspension?