Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Drilled/slotted brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:19 PM

I went to Auto Zone Friday evening and purchased two new rotors and a set of semi-metallic non asbestos (organic) pads. I did the work Saturday and replaced rotors and pads. I burnished the hub surface and the inside mating surfaces of each aluminum wheel with a wire brush in a drill. The wheels were torqued to 100 Lbft. following installation. I will hit the expressway Monday morning so we will see if getting rid of the ceramic pads helps the oscillation recurring at 3K to 4K miles.

I also got a new set of BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires (215x50x17) installed Saturday morning. I wanted to do the brakes after the tire replacement to assure the wheel torque and rust cleanup. Another user posted some pics in a thread here showing how he had cleaned up his rotors in the wheel mount area. I went one better and cleaned the actual hub and treated it with Amsoil Metal Protector. Hopefully this entire process will alleviate the pulsation in the brakes.