Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front parking brake cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:43 PM

Front parking brake cable

Is the front parking brake cable replaceable on the HHR like it is on the cobalt? I bent the metal splitter that holds the rear cables. I got a front line from a 2006 cobalt at a junkyard, but it lacks the almost full threading on the adjustment portion like the HHR has. I can't find a replacement part# for the HHR, but the pictures for the replacement cobalt part seem to be very similar to the hhr style ( the "bolt" is almost fully threaded).

I don't know how I managed to bend the 1/4 inch steel on the splitter, but I did. :)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Here's what Rock Auto shows as replacement parts for the HHR parking brake cable:

Parking Brake Cable

Steve
Old 02-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the help but they only show the rear cables. It's the front cable that's bad on mine. It's just odd that rockauto shows the front for the Cobalt but not for the hhr. It's probably not worth the risk if I can find a dealer with the handle in stock, as it comes with it and only 20 more.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Technical Moderator

As far as I can tell there is no real "front cable", The 2 rear cables attach to the adjuster in the handle. The adjuster is part of the handle.

Here is the Cobalt handle, it looks the same to me, but the front cable seems to be a separate part.

The handles are different part numbers, but that front bit looks the same to me.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM

I might have to try bending the splitter back into shape. I can't seem to find a local dealer with one and the online GM parts stores either want too much to ship them (20 on a 40 part) or they say discontinued. If I can find a local parts store with a Cobalt front cable I'll try it, cause the revised part looks just like ours.

I had my cable almost off before I realized the old Cobalt design didn't have enough adjustment. It's definitely replaceable, GM just wants more money... Then stops making/stocking the handle locally. Typical lol.

Edit:From what I saw at the junkyard, the cobalt and hhr parking brake handle are the same, until about half way up. Then the cobalt is kinda bent, our stays more straight. Also the cobalt's adjustment portion comes out on the right and ours is on the left. I'll do more digging and post back if i can find something that fits.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Technical Moderator

You should be able to shorten the front cable with a piece if lead shot or 2.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 PM

where would I need to put it? I'm not sure I follow.

edit: I also thought about putting split washers over the rear brake cables to hold them on to the splitter, but it's probably better to just bend the splitter back into shape. I'm still dumbfounded on how I managed to bend it, it's almost 1/4" steel. I'm probably going to make a rubber or plastic fitting (wedge) to remove the upward slop, so this never happens again.

Last edited by Scott_S; 02-07-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM
Technical Moderator

The cables are terminated with a piece of split shot (probably steel) if you need to shorten the front cable you could use a bit of lead shot in front of the existing bit. or a cable stop.

I think I'm getting confused you say you bent the splitter, but you want a new front cable. Does the splitter come attached to the cable?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Once again, how about a PM to hellshotrod, David should be able to help !
Old 02-07-2019, 04:42 PM

I bent the piece of steel to the right of your red line. I'm not sure of the technical term, was just calling it a splitter becasue it hols both rear cables. I'm just glad I didn't snap the rear cables instead. It must have been a gradual process, as I had to tighten the front cable multiple times because the parking brake wasn't holding well. I'm just surprised that the cable ends are stronger than that bent steel plate.

Edit: I thought you meant birdshot or a fishing sinker, that makes much more sense! Would an auto parts store sell those?

Quick Reply: Front parking brake cable