Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

HHR Lift

Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 AM

HHR Lift

Hello Gentlemen. I am looking to put a lift kit on my 2009 Chevrolet HHR,LS
Panel wagon.Is it possible without compromising anything ? I live in (south)
Louisiana with the flooding issues,I find my HHR too low to go through normal
rain areas.Just want to raise it enough that I can go through water safely.
When,I know the area is too deep with water for me to pass,I detour until I find a safe passable road.Not trying to do this for looks.I have a business as a Courier and use the HHR. When driving,time and traffic is already not on my side.To detour is time consuming to my business,but safety is ALWAYS my one
priority. Please give me your opinions. Thanks . Doyle
Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM

Seems futile to me for .... 1-3 inches. It's not going to make much difference when it come to flooding and variable muddy water conditions.
At that stage how do you measure the water depth to test it ??
You Commit.

Bad idea IMHO.

If you don't think so then call your Insurance company and ask their opinion and your coverage too.

SF
Old 09-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Administrator

You could put a spring rubber in until you get the height you want, but quite the rough ride!

Coil Spring Booster for Cars, Trucks & SUVs
Old 09-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Bad idea overall. If you want a vehicle that can ford a few inches of water, you need to look at another vehicle. Any changes you can make will get you perhaps an extra inch or two - which won't help much at all unless you are wading out into the water and actually measuring the depth of the water to ensure you have clearance. And I doubt you are doing that now.

Raising it even an inch or so will just compromise the handling of the car. It's a car, not a truck, there are no lift kits being made for it, for obvious reasons.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Bad idea overall. If you want a vehicle that can ford a few inches of water, you need to look at another vehicle. Any changes you can make will get you perhaps an extra inch or two - which won't help much at all unless you are wading out into the water and actually measuring the depth of the water to ensure you have clearance. And I doubt you are doing that now.

Raising it even an inch or so will just compromise the handling of the car. It's a car, not a truck, there are no lift kits being made for it, for obvious reasons.
Just a note of interest Whopper, the State of Louisiana titled my HHR as a truck not a car.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam
Just a note of interest Whopper, the State of Louisiana titled my HHR as a truck not a car.
Maybe so but I think they are All confused as to what/how to title it .

Many on this site refer to it as a Truckett which I happen think is a really neat description.
I have had HHR's titled in 5 different states and they are all really uncertain what to call it.

I consider it my Mini Suburban/Tahoe (except for the towing capacity equivalent).

It is what it is and it ain't a Water Dog....

SF
Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 08LaRam
yup, it's pretty well known that some places title it as such - but it doesn't change the situation as far as lift kits go.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Technical Moderator

GM can't even decide; some years are light trucks some years are passenger cars. Thank the Federal CAFE standards. GM really needed a "truck" with 32 MPG to offset the big pick up trucks 8 MPG.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:06 AM

I think donbrew has it in a nutshell. When EPA exerts their lack of automotive knowledge, the manufacturers have to get creative to keep within those arbitrary standards.