Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Hub Assemblies Available On Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM

Hub Assemblies Available On Ebay

So I have a bad left front hub assembly on my 2010 panel and the $45-$50 price on a new one that are listed all over Ebay sure looks enticing. I only want input from those who have bought one of these hubs off Ebay, initial impressions of quality based on actually holding the hub in your hand and inspecting, and any info on how they are holding up after install and use. Not interested in any posts other than from those who have actually purchased them and installed them off Ebay. Posts from those who haven't actually bought them but only can offer that they are cheap Chinese knockoffs, you get what you pay for, the materials are inferior etc yadda yadda yadda are of no use to me so dont bother even responding with that nonsense. Thank You
Old 11-16-2014, 11:48 PM

Go with timkin in may be 20 more dollars but worth it or sk brand heard there good too
Old 11-17-2014, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

"yadda yadda are of no use to me so dont bother even responding with that nonsense"

Excuse me? There is no need for that at all.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Deceased

Hmmm...you may need to specify which hubs you're looking at on the 'bay. A quick check showed 798 listings for everything from Genuine GM hubs to the aforementioned "Cheap Chinese knockoffs".

And remember, you'll catch more flies with honey, than you ever will with "yadda-yadda-yadda".
Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 AM

OK, here ya go,...

I had the passenger side wheel bearing start making noise a few years back now on my '06 HHR LT. I went to Auto Zone and got a pair of new ones. The box said they were Duralast brand bearings but made by Timken bearings inc, the box also said 'Made In Korea'.

I put them on the car and less than 6 months later the passenger side started making noise again. I just put the one I had saved from the drivers side on and went on. A while later that one started making noise I went back to Auto Zone. Since they had a 1 year guarantee on the part I got another, but,... just the one that was making noise. I installed it then a bout a week or so later the one on the drivers side started making noise. I ran it for about a month then ordered a pair of wheel bearings from some random vendor on eBay.

The eBay bearings didn't really cost much less than the Auto Zone bearings but they have been in the car for going on two years now and have remained quiet.

My HHR does not have the anti-lock break system on it so I can get the cheaper wheel bearings for it. I just checked Auto Zone and the ones for my car cost $52.99 each, I don't really remember what I paid for the eBay ones now. They were Dorman brand though.

They are incredibly easy to change. You could do the job with just the scissor jack that comes with the car but I personally wouldn't unless I had a real jack stand or some pretty solid blocks under the car.

I just looked on eBay and they do have the front hubs for around $35.00 but, its just the hub no bearing. If you need the whole assembly it cost more.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
Go with timkin in may be 20 more dollars but worth it or sk brand heard there good too
They used to be the ones to get, now even some of their product, are from China now, which really isn't a bad thing.

I've used many ebay hubs, & have never had an issue...
The ones that I had converted to "4-Lug", & use on my 'buggy' now,
have been fine, no issues.

The concern with "Made-In-China", reminds me of the 60s-70s,
when people hated "Made-In-Japan".

It's best to use caution with any product that you buy, from any country,
& to use the "net", for research, as you are doing...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Technical Moderator

I have purchased and used a total of 9 of the "cheap Chinese" hubs. One was bad out of the box, quick easy return. No problems with the others.

I also purchased 2 "Expensive American" hubs that lasted 50,000 miles.

2 cars, front and rear. For those keeping count.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
OK, here ya go,...

I just looked on eBay and they do have the front hubs for around $35.00 but, its just the hub no bearing. If you need the whole assembly it cost more.
What!? How can they be separated?

It is a one piece hub/bearing. Some advertise hub, some say bearing, some say hub/bearing.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Hmmm...you may need to specify which hubs you're looking at on the 'bay. A quick check showed 798 listings for everything from Genuine GM hubs to the aforementioned "Cheap Chinese knockoffs".

And remember, you'll catch more flies with honey, than you ever will with "yadda-yadda-yadda".

Hubs from this vendor, which I'm sure are the same from some of the others on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-Front-Left-Right-Wheel-Hub-and-Bearing-Assembly-Pair-F241206-/111177365866?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AHHR&vxp=mtr&hash=item19e2aff96a
The yadda yadda nonsense etc is just a little sarcasm and jab to deter postings from those who have no first hand experience...my own form of thread control! Lots of good opinions here though, very helpful.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I have purchased and used a total of 9 of the "cheap Chinese" hubs. One was bad out of the box, quick easy return. No problems with the others.

I also purchased 2 "Expensive American" hubs that lasted 50,000 miles.

2 cars, front and rear. For those keeping count.
That's good to know, thanks

Quick Reply: Hub Assemblies Available On Ebay