Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

KYB or FE3

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM

KYB or FE3

So, I'm getting ready to put new struts and shocks on my LS. I plan on putting SS springs on it also. Wondering if there is much of a difference between KYB and FE3. I have priced them out and its about $60 more for the FE3. Are they worth it? thanks for the help.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM

My 2006 2lt I replaced the rear with KYB since the 2lt is fe3, last week had the fe-5 struts replaced as myy HHR is lowered 2 inches in frontseems to be better but have not driven on any mountain roads yet, I bought the fe5 struts from RockAuto they are AC Delco a lot cheaper then from GM. good luck.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Kyb are very popular, equal to slightly better than FE5 struts/shocks.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

That's not what I heard Aaron. I heard they were 15 % stiffer than a three, not a five. I got the info from IgotaWoody send him a PM, he has been running the KYB a while.

I have run the fe3 and fe5 in SS springs, both worked well, but I ended up using YYZv1 springs with the fe3 for ride comfort, I like it fine.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
That's not what I heard Aaron. I heard they were 15 % stiffer than a three, not a five. I got the info from IgotaWoody send him a PM, he has been running the KYB a while.

I have run the fe3 and fe5 in SS springs, both worked well, but I ended up using YYZv1 springs with the fe3 for ride comfort, I like it fine.
What are the YYZ springs?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 PM

Yeah..but there was another statement here that said since Dec they upped them to f5 specs....though I've read nothing thing to confirm this...the kyb,s depend on whose springs you use...on my LS they work great with the Goldlines...but suck with my SS on Redlines..have less then a year on the fronts and they wollow around like a pig in mud... have since replaced rears with the original 50k miles fe 5's and they are much better..fronts are next..don't know how they would work on SS springs, but would expect them to b e on the soft side, and maybe a bit bouncy. I'd stick with matched pieces with the stock parts though.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

You know that debate will go on forever. Woody, Aaron, maybe even hyper.....those people in the parts business....it would be great if you could contact RELIABLE sources within the KYB manufacturing industry and determine what is the real truth. It would be nice to know compression rates for the struts and spring rates for the springs. And then compare that with the OEM SS rates.

And I agree with SSfan, because 2 weeks ago a KYB parts dealer here told me NO SPECIFIC STRUT for the SS. It is the same as the 2LT with about a 8-10% increase over that. Of course, the OEM SS COULD be at that level....but I doubt it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Premium Member

They are stiffer than the 3, I have tried both on two different springs stock ss springs and YYZv1's (they are designed by a fella up in Canada) I believe Crate Engine stocks them in the US. While we are talking suspension I would be remiss to leave out..........swaybar.......I've tried a couple.... the fella in Canada got that right also........