Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Leveling – Comments on Cobalt SS Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Leveling – Comments on Cobalt SS Rear Springs

Hi Folks, I thought I’d share my experience with “leveling” my HHR called Elvis. My car is a 2009 2LT with the FE-3 “sport” suspension. Note that the 2009 and 2010 2LT’s have stiffer rear springs than earlier 2LT’s, and the FE-3 part number on the tag is 22712221. I would NOT advise anyone to buy these springs, unless you happen to need to carry a lot of weight in the rear of your HHR for some reason and need clearance.

After forum members’ advice was weighed, I decided upon the 2007 Cobalt SS Supercharged (SS/SC) rear springs, part number 10390024. I chose these because I wanted to drop the rear end to level, but preserve the ride as much as possible. The later Cobalt SS Turbocharged (SS/TC) springs are a little stiffer reportedly. The SS/SC springs are under $50.00 each, and at some places are considerably cheaper than that.

The springs installed just like the tutorials on the forums said they would. Many thanks to those who shared their experience.

Appearance - The springs on day one have settled to 1-3/8” drop in the rear, and I have been told to expect a little more as they really settle in. The car looks soooo much better to my eyes. It is now level, not raked with the rear end in the air. As someone said, it used to look like a stink bug.

Before.....

After.......

Ride – Here was the big surprise, it rides better. A friend who had done the swap with SS/TC springs said it would ride better, but I was still nervous. Basically, the “grainy” harsh ride is much reduced, as in I don’t feel all of the small pavement cracks and holes as much. That is reduced maybe 20%.

The really good news is that the back end no longer does a “pogo stick” bouncing motion. I didn’t realize it was doing it before, but it is clearly better with the new springs. Over dips and potholes the car would drop, then the rear end would take a big “BOING” bounce into the air and then settle back down. The same over speedbumps. Any bumps in a curve would send the back end bouncing. With the SS/SC springs, the car smoothly notes that there is a bump there, but there is no bounce. An amazing advantage. With the old springs it seemed like the stiff springs were overwhelming the shocks at each bump, allowing bounce. The same shocks with the SS/SC springs feel like total control.

I think a lot of the commotion and perceived bad ride in Elvis was due to the rear end bouncing around….and it wasn’t the Sachs shocks’ fault. Recall, I went from the stiffer 2009 FE-3 2LT springs to the softer 2007 Cobalt SS/SC springs (big improvement). If you have a 2008 or earlier FE-3 2LT (softer) spring and go to a current Cobalt SS/TC (slightly firmer) rear spring, the improvement may not be as pronounced. My friend did this latter change, and says his does ride better with the change.

Handling – Another dramatic difference, and one I would attribute to lowering the center-of-gravity and getting rid of that spring bounce with the stock FE-3 2LT rear springs. I chose not to install a rear bar yet, as I wanted to evaluate the rear springs alone.

The car before the new springs would go into a curve, and the nose would tip down and the rear end felt like it would jack up off of the outside rear spring. Any dip or bumps and you’d really get a “whoop-de-do” bounce and float, that felt like it was going to unsettle the tires. It felt like the rear end wanted to roll to the outside, and wanted to take the front end with it. In other words, the poor handling rear was messing up what the front could do. Lots of understeering, plowing feel when pushed.

With the new springs, I can feel the rear end sitting lower from the driver’s seat. In a curve, it is almost like the rear end of the car isn’t there. No bounce, float, or fuss. The steering response is faster and lighter feeling. The plowing feel is gone. The body roll feels like it is decreased by half. The rear feels totally settled and just wants to track behind what the fronts are doing. This is with SOFTER springs and NO rear anti-sway bar yet. What a transformation. I have no idea, other than for clearance with a load, why GM would have installed the lousy 2009 #22712221 FE-3 2LT rear springs.

You may not think your HHR handles or rides badly until you try a set of these SS/SC springs. I am convinced. Does anyone want to buy a used set of 2009 FE-3 2LT springs? ;-)

Normally, when you soften the springs on a car, especially in the rear, you might expect worse handling and more understeering “push”. It did not work that way here. I am betting the lower center-of-gravity is to thank. I am now pondering a Progressive rear sway bar, as I understand it is the softer choice.

I tried a few roads today with sweeping faster curves, including a few with big dips and bumps. What used to be a little edgy feeling with the old springs, is now “ho-hum” totally uneventful with the new SS/SC springs. Totally stable and confidence inspiring. It may be even better with a set of SS/TC springs, but I have no first-hand experience with those SS/TC springs.

If I can help anyone further, please drop me a message. God Bless, Marc
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Put the SS Cobalt springs on my 09 LS, 78 bucks shipped to door, easy self install. Hands down this is the best mod I've made. It's cheap and you gain better handling. And OH that killer level stance transforms the appearance dramatically IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Hmmm..thus the need to match shocks with springs....it actually does make a difference even though there are alot that don't think so....sounds like the stock springs were a bit 'too' soft.......
Old 04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Cool, glad it all worked out great !!! Big Visual improvements..

Been on SS/TC springs & TTR rear bar for a while now...No looking back..
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
ecl

I agree with all of that better handling and looks, just cant believe I waited so long to do specially sine it only took like a half hour (had the springs sitting for almost a year before I got them).
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Hi Folks, I checked this evening and Elvis has settled in with another 1/8" drop at the rear. That makes right at 1-1/2" total drop with these springs. I am loving them. Instead of bouncing atop a pogostick in the rear, the car now feels like it sits down between the rear springs.....if that makes any sense. I didn't realize just how bad the rear end behaved until I got the new springs. Great upgrade that is cheap and easy. I did notice on the highway that at freeway speeds the new springs give about the same ride harshness as before. Around town it feels notably softer. I am not sure why there is a difference, but my "butt-meter" gives that ride rating.

Hey Woody, I agree about the shocks matching the springs. I wonder why the GM engineers did such a relatively poor job with the 2009 2LT FE3 setup? It bounced like Tigger. I guess they could have been too soft.....and maybe too tall. The old springs sure transmitted a lot of road harshness for being soft if that was the case.

Best wishes to all and God Bless, Marc
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM

But in our case we have little choice for shocks...shame too as these cars could probably do good with a tuned suspension...the car at Nuremburg may have been tuned but I'm willing to bet 'these' cars have been compromised on one way or another.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by frank6060
Put the SS Cobalt springs on my 09 LS, 78 bucks shipped to door, easy self install. Hands down this is the best mod I've made. It's cheap and you gain better handling. And OH that killer level stance transforms the appearance dramatically IMO.
Who did you get them for at $78? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

www.gmpartsdirect.com is where I got my SS/TC rear springs..

05- 07 Cobalt SS/SC rear spring part # is: 10390024

08- 09 Cobalt SS/TC rear spring part # is: 25821162
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 AM

So if you want a softer ride in the back get the 05-07 springs and the 08-09 is firmer. Do both springs drop the rear the same amount? I have a 2010LS and would guess I would have to go with the early spring. Any help with this? Thanks.