Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Mechanic Can't Replace Front Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Mechanic Can't Replace Front Lower Control Arm

I took my 2011 HHR to the shop because it started shaking when I break. The rotors and break pads were okay, but both lower control arms were bad.

The mechanic was able to replace the passenger side one, but he said he couldn't get the driver's side arm off. There's a screw or bolt holding it on and it won't come out. It just turns without loosening.

He told me I needed to take it to a machine shop because he couldn't cut it out. I'd like to get a second opinion, but I'm not really car savvy. I took a photo for reference.

Have any of you ever had this problem?
​​​​​​

Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM

There is a cage that is supposed to keep the nut from turning, Sometimes it breaks, and the nut spins freely. If you can shove something in there to keep it from turning, maybe a screwdriver, you should be able to get the bolt out.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
There is a cage that is supposed to keep the nut from turning, Sometimes it breaks, and the nut spins freely. If you can shove something in there to keep it from turning, maybe a screwdriver, you should be able to get the bolt out.
Thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully it'll work!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:10 AM

I assume that your mechanic is working this with an air impact wrench? With the last one I did on my car over the summer I thought I had the issue with the cage. I just kept working it and it turned out that the bushing was what was keeping it from coming out. It was shredded and clogged up the threads.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Yes it has been encountered before.
A quick use of the SEARCH TOOL in the upper right corner found several references to the issue: ie - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...says-no-51562/

Either the captive nut on top that the bolt screws into, has broken loose allowing the bolt to just spin, or the bolt has rusted into the metal sleeve inside the bushing inside the arm, and the bolt needs to be cut off using a sawzall. Both causes have been addressed by members here.

From the picture, I suspect the bolt has rusted into the metal sleeve.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Worse case He can cut the bolt and remove the cage nut. Parts are available.
Lower Control Arm rear bolt ALL HHRs GM P/N 11589009
I think the nut is P/n gm 11561074)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Worse case He can cut the bolt and remove the cage nut. Parts are available.
Lower Control Arm rear bolt ALL HHRs GM P/N 11589009
I think the nut is P/n gm 11561074)
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Yes it has been encountered before.
A quick use of the SEARCH TOOL in the upper right corner found several references to the issue: ie - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...says-no-51562/

Either the captive nut on top that the bolt screws into, has broken loose allowing the bolt to just spin, or the bolt has rusted into the metal sleeve inside the bushing inside the arm, and the bolt needs to be cut off using a sawzall. Both causes have been addressed by members here.

From the picture, I suspect the bolt has rusted into the metal sleeve.
Thanks. We may try the sawzall and see if that works.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I assume that your mechanic is working this with an air impact wrench? With the last one I did on my car over the summer I thought I had the issue with the cage. I just kept working it and it turned out that the bushing was what was keeping it from coming out. It was shredded and clogged up the threads.
I'm not sure, but I'll show this to him and see what he thinks. He said he tried everything he could think of to get it off, so he may have tried this. Then he said he wasn't comfortable cutting it off. So I will have to take it to a machine shop to do that (so he says).
Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Several members have cut them off in their driveways. Not that big a deal.
Those part numbers may have been superseded sop don't demand the exact number from a dealer.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Can't Replace Front Lower Control Arm