Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

New rotors not rotoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Just marked EBC of my list of possible replacement rotor candidates.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:01 PM

I have wondered about if I put them on the wrong direction. But, nothing in the instruction that I noticed warned about it. If I missed it, then I believe it should have been more prominent, like a separate sheet cautioning the installer that they are directional.

That said, I know the vibration problem was the rotors since it instantly went away when the new ones were installed. Even when the dealer cut my factory rotors, the problem went away for a few thousand miles. The issues are why does it not happen to every HHR, and why is it repeating itself with the new rotors? I can understand why it reoccured with the factory ones. If they warped once, then they did not stand up well and grinding off more metal will only make them thinner and more prone to future warpage. That said, the EBC ones are supposed to be much stronger. I called HHR Boutique and they have not had anybody else contact them with my problem. I know that I am not hard on my brakes. I do not push the car, since when I do I get that stupid ABS code. In fact, my wife constantly complains that I drive too slow. So what could be causing the warpage on us select few???

I want to pull off the wheels tomorrow and check everything, then retorque them on again. And, yes, I do it incrementaly.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
I have wondered about if I put them on the wrong direction. But, nothing in the instruction that I noticed warned about it. If I missed it, then I believe it should have been more prominent, like a separate sheet cautioning the installer that they are directional.

That said, I know the vibration problem was the rotors since it instantly went away when the new ones were installed. Even when the dealer cut my factory rotors, the problem went away for a few thousand miles. The issues are why does it not happen to every HHR, and why is it repeating itself with the new rotors? I can understand why it reoccured with the factory ones. If they warped once, then they did not stand up well and grinding off more metal will only make them thinner and more prone to future warpage. That said, the EBC ones are supposed to be much stronger. I called HHR Boutique and they have not had anybody else contact them with my problem. I know that I am not hard on my brakes. I do not push the car, since when I do I get that stupid ABS code. In fact, my wife constantly complains that I drive too slow. So what could be causing the warpage on us select few???

I want to pull off the wheels tomorrow and check everything, then retorque them on again. And, yes, I do it incrementally.
Let me know what you find. I'll be going to my garage this week as well. I feel the wobble when I brake but it does not feel like traditional brake rotor wobble in that it does not pulse my brake pedal like warped rotors always had in all my other cars. I think I may have some out of round Toyo Tires. But the wobble in the front does smooth out and is more pronounced on braking, so I'm confused.

, HHR Boutique told me the same thing, o one else had complained, etc......
We both thought ECB were good brakes, so we are confused.......
Old 11-02-2008, 02:19 PM

I also have pulsating EBC rotors now. Had the OEM warped rotors before. Went to EBC about 5k miles ago and the hhr just started to pulsate again
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM

And I was so sure that changing to the better rotors would solve the problem. What oh what could be warping our rotors?????
Old 11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Man i hope mine don't start i have put about 10,000 miles on them with no problems, i wonder if its just to much weight for the size of the rotors??
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM

If that were the case than every HHR would be having this problem, as well as all of the Cobalts which dont weigh much less then we do.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
If that were the case than every HHR would be having this problem, as well as all of the Cobalts which dont weigh much less then we do.
yea i dunno im just guessing, did you go back over yours again. Make sure the slots on the rotors are pointing toward the rear of the car, if you cant get it straight i suggest calling EBC very nice people there and will help you. remember they do have warranty.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chadpuska
yea i dunno im just guessing, did you go back over yours again. Make sure the slots on the rotors are pointing toward the rear of the car, if you cant get it straight i suggest calling EBC very nice people there and will help you. remember they do have warranty.
That warranty is good only if the rotors were installed correctly to begin with. If these rotors were purchased from a vendor and installed by the owner instead of a trained mechanic, I'd be willing to bet that you're SOL.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
That warranty is good only if the rotors were installed correctly to begin with. If these rotors were purchased from a vendor and installed by the owner instead of a trained mechanic, I'd be willing to bet that you're SOL.
Nope that's not correct because i have dealt with EBC already, and i installed my own, mine were making noise which i guess was normal, and they sent me a brand new custom set of pads, that they designed after i had made the complaint. which i eventually did put on and the noise is very minimal now. I also told them i installed them myself, if they refund you money or send you new parts and when they get your old ones back and they see they have been damaged due to neglect or not be installed right then maybe they will say something. Trained mechanic doesn't mean jack, most of the trained mechanics suck anyway.

Quick Reply: New rotors not rotoring