Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Which are OEM Lower Control Arms

Old 12-20-2015, 12:46 PM

Which are OEM Lower Control Arms

I Purchased a 2010 HHR 3 months ago with 67500 miles. I am chasing some front end noises. When inspecting suspension components I noticed my LCA's are cast aluminum. Are these OEM or aftermarket replacements ? I'm sure one of my clunks is the intermediate steering shaft. I had the exact same issue on my 02 Yukon. I checked all the trans and engine mounts and there like new. I actually removed the front engine mount for inspection to make sure. I have purchased a new set of Steelman Chassis Ears to help me get to the bottom of the front end clunks but haven't had the time to use it yet. Just unsure if the LCA's were stamped sheet metal OEM or cast alluminum ??? Thanks
Old 12-20-2015, 01:09 PM

Cast aluminum was the OEM version for us. Cobalts were stamped from the factory.

Chassis ears are very cool. I get to use them at work sometimes. I work in Chassis warranty for an auto company. It's always good when the ears lead away from my parts...
Old 12-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Check the sway bar bushing and end links. They go south on all of our little trucks.

I as well have and intermediate shaft that rattles a bit just have nor been up to replacing it as of yet.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Try taking the intermediate steering shaft out if you can extend it clean it and lubricate it with white lithium grease and work it back and forth abit, mine was seized so I had to replace it.
Do not turn the steering wheel while the shaft is disconnected, you could brake the air bag clock spring!!!
For the LCA the rear bushing could be one of your clunks, the one on the right was deemed just fine at my GM shop, said I just needed an alignment, well it don't look to healthy to me, I used a ball joint press to change them with Moog K200792 problem solvers, and while I was down and dirty, changed out the swaybar end links with Moogs also,
Attached Thumbnails Which are OEM Lower Control Arms-image.jpeg  
Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Administrator

The shaft
Attached Thumbnails Which are OEM Lower Control Arms-image.jpeg  
Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Over the years, I have replaced the LCA's due to the rear bushings going, the sway bar links (ball joints totally gone), and the sway bar pivot mounts. I just finished replacing the passengers side LCA today due to a shot lower ball joint. I knew it was making a clunking sound lately, but it sure sounded like the same noise the sway bar mounts made when they went. Glad I spotted it, as that kind of failure can kill.

One of those chassis ears would have been great to scope that stuff out.

Last edited by whopper; 12-21-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Mine failed safety inspection today for a bad ball joint. The LCAs only have 40K on them.

OB is it easier to grind the rivets or drill them?
Old 12-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I drilled through first and chiseled the head off. I believe it's a better way to address the ball joints after replacing the Moog K200792 problem solvers rear bushings, no more brake judder either!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 AM

As I stated I changed the intermediate steering shaft on my 02 Yukon preciously. Its was really a pretty easy job but it looks like the HHR is a little tighter for space . I'm sure that wont be much of a issue for me though. You would think after at least 8 years of issues GM would change that stinking design.
I previously completely removed the sway bar end links and the ball joints were tight. My sway bar bushings were showing slight were and proudly would be prudent to replace those.
So on to the LCA's. The rear mounts look prestige but as you know I will have to remove them to inspect the front mounts. So I think the front LCA's bushings are a good place to start with my Chassis Ear transmitters first along with one on the intermediate steering shaft. I have a vertical hydraulic shop press so installing some new Problem Solver bushings will only take me a couple hours of time.
Thanks for all the input !!
Old 12-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Take some pictures when you do these just for clarity how easy it is!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which are OEM Lower Control Arms