Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Off to the West Coast...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 PM

yeah..
Old 04-21-2006, 04:35 PM

clear as mud....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Somebody needs to buy a clue here....

Re-read my post! Mike, you are wrong!!

SoCalHHRs: "True - if you widen the rim and do not increase the offset, the rim will rub on the HHR."

If the offset stays the same and the rim is wider, there is absolutely no change in where the rim centerline, nor the centerline of the tire, is in relation to the hub mounting surface!!!

Folks, draw yourselves a picture....

One vertical line is the wheel hub mounting surface.

Then sketch a wheel mounted to it...

If the center of the wheel is exactly lined up with the mounting surface, then the offset is zero. On a typical front drive car, which the HHR is, the offset is positive, in other words the centerline of the rim on the HHR is 42 mm to the inside of the mounting surface.

If the offset is less, it will move the rim centerline (and the tire centerline) outward.

Rim width has absolutely nothing to do with this!!

If nothing changes with the offset, and you widen the rims, what will happen is that 1/2 of the width increase will happen on both the inside and the outside, resulting in no change in the offset. That will also result in no change on where the tire is in relation to the body.

Any problems that anyone (including myself) has had with rubbing is the result in less offset, putting the rim and tire outward. If your new tires have a wider tread width, that will increase the problem. The rubbing issue will first occur on the rear, as I mentioned above. The front has more room.

If you are in the market for rims, pay close attention to the offset!!! The rim width is not an issue!!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 PM

you WILL rub, but dont get the fenders rolled me and cjnappo have figured out trying to roll the thin fenders will result in a ripple effect that you will be able to notice, insted get a good body man to take a grinder and grind the lip up to the spot welds ::
Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by crowbar
you WILL rub, but dont get the fenders rolled me and cjnappo have figured out trying to roll the thin fenders will result in a ripple effect that you will be able to notice, insted get a good body man to take a grinder and grind the lip up to the spot welds ::
There's both the outer sheet metal and an inner panel there that are spot-welded. If you grind it, you have removed both the zinc coating and sealer that was put there by Chevy. Good luck with the rust that will likely show up soon.

Also, you are still leaving a sharp edge that may still contact the tire and cut it.

No thanks. I worked with a friend of mine that owns a Beemer shop and had a proper rolling rig and we did it. No rubbing, no "ripple effect" that you spoke of. If the fender "rippled", somebody did something wrong.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
There's both the outer sheet metal and an inner panel there that are spot-welded. If you grind it, you have removed both the zinc coating and sealer that was put there by Chevy. Good luck with the rust that will likely show up soon.
everything was sprayed and sealed after the job was finished, any creditable bodyman would have common sense to do this

Also, you are still leaving a sharp edge that may still contact the tire and cut it.
no, that leaves enough room for my tires to clear the metal edge

No thanks. I worked with a friend of mine that owns a Beemer shop and had a proper rolling rig and we did it. No rubbing, no "ripple effect" that you spoke of. If the fender "rippled", somebody did something wrong.

that tool wasnt available in my area and at $399 for a tool that will be used one time
No thanks..
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM

SoCalHHRs (Mike), may I suggest something?

Consider buying a fender rolling tool and make it available for rental. At reasonable cost and a refundable deposit. With a reasonable time limit. Directions would be helpful also.

When rolling a fender, the following need to be kept in mind:

Position the tool on the hub with it at normal ride height.

Take your time. Do it gradually. Rushing it and too much pressure could well result in the "ripple effect" mentioned earlier.

If the temps are on the cool side, heat the lip with a heat gun to soften the paint and prevent any cracking of the paint.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:58 PM

NewsFlash: I'm getting my rims regardless and I will be visiting a auto body shop to have my fenders rolled profesionally!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

That's the right attitude. :twothumbs
Old 04-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Rim width has absolutely nothing to do with this!! The rim width is not an issue!!
Hey Joe; thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to order myself a set of 10" wide rims now.
As long as they have a 42mm positive offset - I'll be good to go - right?

Quick Reply: Off to the West Coast...