Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Poor Handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Shouldn't the tire pressures take into consideration the geographic location of the vehicle? I would think that things such as climate, altitude, general road conditions and driving habits mighy necessitate some variation from a set standard PSI.
Deb, you'll find some of the best and clearest answers to your questions on Tire Rack. Some informative reading there.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:54 AM

Thanks Joe...I'll be sure to check that out. Worrying about all this is so new to me, as I used to just let Henry handle all this stuff. But, now that I have a car I truly enjoy...I'm like #5 in the movie Short Circuit...I need input.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
teech, the factory sticker for the 17's calls for 35 psi, F&R.

The Kuhmo ASX is a great tire for the bucks, great traction dry or wet, but not rated well for snow (look on Tire Rack for tests and feedback). I've got the same tire in an 18" and love 'em.

The best bet for those in snow areas is a narrower "winter only" tire on a spare set of wheels. Those that live in those areas can attest to that.
I love the ride on the tires...it was between these and pirellis and I'm glad I saved my dough. THey looks great too!

Thanks for the info...I'll give these a shot this winter and if it gets out of hand, I'll look into switching up.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM

In the HHR I like to run the pressure the same back to front. They were at 25PSI from the dealer. I'm moving them all to 35 to see/feel what the difference will be. I like the ride and do not want it to ride like my friend's Golf with Bilsteines and Recaro racing seats His car can turn on a dime, but the extra maintenance of welding in plates for the shock towers and dealing with all the other things such a harsh ride brings to a vehicle, gives me an example of where NOT to go

Now on the Corvair, I keep around 20 PSI in the front, sometimes 25, and 35 PSI rear. No weight in the front other than the trunk and 50 pounds plus of tools one has to carry when driving an old car. Radials were the best improvement to handling that I ever did to a Corvair. Then a rear lower handling bracket, Mistu disc brakes to the front, quick steering arms, nylon bushings here and there ( Not too many because of the harshness factor since nylon has little give and transfers the road to the frame ). Still have neoprene/rubber bushings too. Stiffer springs and shocks all around and it still gives a decent family ride.

I love controled oversteer. It's a blast going up an entrance ramp sideways
Cars are balancing acts between ride and handling.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
teech, the factory sticker for the 17's calls for 35 psi, F&R.
And that is a great pressure; if you want to rattle your teeth out!

Try dropping it to 26 or 28 - and watch the ride improve considerably!

The car only weighs 3200lbs. It doesn't need that much air for proper inflation.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM

On my recent 3700 mile jaunt across the US on I-40 I did have issues in the rain. The first time I was doing about 75 near Flagstaff and the steering wheel just went loose in my hands. I slowed to 60 and the steering came back. I slowed for the remainder of the rain storm and it seemed ok.

When I got to my destination I checked out the tires and made them all 32psi, I think the rears were at 30psi. While inspecting the tires I noticed that I could see the wear bars already becoming visible within the tread. The tires had approx 12000 miles on them. They were the stock 17" 50 series tires. My thoughts were if you lived in a rainy environment you should get some better tires for the rain.

On my return trip I hit more rain in New Mexico and it hydroplaned much worse and I was almost run over by a semi as I slowed down. I was still hydroplaning at 50mph. I was wide awake after this wild ride. I think it was part the tires and part the road surface. The tires seem like pontoons on the front of the HHR in the rain. If I lived in a rainy area I would get some good quality rain tires. Luckily it never rains in California!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
And that is a great pressure; if you want to rattle your teeth out!

Try dropping it to 26 or 28 - and watch the ride improve considerably!

The car only weighs 3200lbs. It doesn't need that much air for proper inflation.
Based on what??? Document your "opinion", please. If I wanted a super smooth ride I would have looked at a Buick or something like that.

Mine rides and handles great... actually running 40 PSI F / 35 rear.

Anyone should consider the factory recommendation the minimum. Maybe bump it up for higher speeds or loads.

Hey, Mike.... Maybe you should go to Tire Rack (They are "experts") and read the tire tech info there... You might actually learn something for a change!!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:11 PM

To low air presure caused the firestone ford problems. Who told them to run so low air presure, FORD on the sticker on the drivers door. Always follow tire manufacturer recomendations. They know more about tires than the auto manufacturers.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by tomdent1
To low air presure caused the firestone ford problems. Who told them to run so low air presure, FORD on the sticker on the drivers door. Always follow tire manufacturer recomendations. They know more about tires than the auto manufacturers.
Actually not true. Manufacturers of the vehicle know the best pressure for the tires in the context of the vehicle which is arrived at in conjunction with tire manuafacturers for the particular application. The Firestone/Ford issue was a manufacturing issue first and foremost that was compounded by tire pressure.

Recommended tire pressure
The maximum tire pressure marked on the tire sidewall refers to the pressure required to carry the maximum load of the tire, and is generally not the same as the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. To find the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle’s tires, refer to the information label, which is usually located on the edge of the driver’s door, or the door post or other conspicuous location. If you can’t find the information label, check your owner’s manual.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
On my recent 3700 mile jaunt across the US on I-40 I did have issues in the rain. The first time I was doing about 75 near Flagstaff and the steering wheel just went loose in my hands. I slowed to 60 and the steering came back. I slowed for the remainder of the rain storm and it seemed ok.

When I got to my destination I checked out the tires and made them all 32psi, I think the rears were at 30psi. While inspecting the tires I noticed that I could see the wear bars already becoming visible within the tread. The tires had approx 12000 miles on them. They were the stock 17" 50 series tires. My thoughts were if you lived in a rainy environment you should get some better tires for the rain.

On my return trip I hit more rain in New Mexico and it hydroplaned much worse and I was almost run over by a semi as I slowed down. I was still hydroplaning at 50mph. I was wide awake after this wild ride. I think it was part the tires and part the road surface. The tires seem like pontoons on the front of the HHR in the rain. If I lived in a rainy area I would get some good quality rain tires. Luckily it never rains in California!
This is what I was talking about! I have driven a lot of cars but never had this hydroplane problem like this ...except in my Corvair a loooooong time ago. I think the tires are lousy and I guess I have to blame GM in part for this because they put them on the car right?? I would have thought that they would have tested their vehicle with these tires before putting them on their car.

Quick Reply: Poor Handling