Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Raising an HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Question Raising an HHR?

I have a weird question to ask, so here it goes.

My ex-husband's wife would like to have an HHR. She has seen mine several times and loves the look...but she's used to driving something that's off the ground a bit.

Is it possible to raise an HHR? If so...how would you do it? I have told my daughter that the best option I can think of would be to bag it and that would allow her to change the height at her whim. However, she seems to think that Suzi would like it to be something that doesn't need any adjustments.

She currently has a small blazer and needs to get something new. The HHR definitely fills the bill as far as looks...she's just used to being a little higher off the ground.

Look forward to hearing your replies and suggestions.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 AM

The only thing I would wonder effect this would have on stability and handling?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:21 AM

Good point Hills...I thought about that too. I'm sure if she really wraps her arms around this project, her and I will have many talks. Funny how her and I get along...but my ex is her problem now...not mine.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

There is no lift kit for the HHR. It's not a truck no matter what Chevy says. Bagging it would do no good unless they want to lower the vehicle which obviously isn't the case. The only option would be to build their own custom lift setup or take it somewhere that can.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Deb, Have her rent a Mini Cooper or borrow an old MG or Miata, and drive that for a couple of weeks. Then your HHR will seem plenty high........:)

Gary
Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Bagging isn't a good option. It is expensive, and the kits are designed for a lowered ride height. The higher you go the more stiff it will ride.

Practically speaking, you could get an inch or two lift. That's about all you can do without seriously affecting the suspension geometry. Being a FWD car you have CV joints that will cause a problem if you go much beyond that range as well. To lift the front the easiest way would be to install a spacer at the top strut mount. In the back you could use a spacer on the coil, or have a custom set of coils wound that are taller (if you went too far with the lift in back your stock shocks would top out and would need longer ones). Actually, with the stock rake you may find just lifting the front in inch or two will work without touching the back. With it lifted a couple inches you can only go with slightly bigger tires, the front strut limits you to 26" to 26.5" tall tires before they rub the spring mount. Question is, is a 1 or 1.5 inch lift enough, and worth the hassle?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 AM

I traded in a '04 Quad Cab Hemi Ram 4x4 to get my HHR, so I was used to riding high, but by the time I drove the HHR home, I got used to the ride height.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks folks...my daughter has sent this post and one from another forum to her stepmom to check out. Keep those ideas coming...it could definitely be something to see if she does get one and does this.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Anything in theory can be raised. Its all a matter of how much it's going to cost you. Doinks are funny looking hooked up old-school rides.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Anything in theory can be raised. Its all a matter of how much it's going to cost you. Doinks are funny looking hooked up old-school rides.
I thought that was "Donks."

Just saw a magazine on the racks yesterday which featured Donks, and I have to be honest, that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life ... and I've seen a Festiva with a homemade sheetmetal hood scoop on it!

Quick Reply: Raising an HHR?