Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Real rotor problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Real rotor problems

Well, I finally have an answer about why my new EBC slotted rotors/red pads are vibrating so badly. To refresh your memory, I had the typical shimmy and after the dealer cut my factory rotors twice, I decided to install the EBC rotors and pads in July. For the first 1500 miles, they were great. Then, the vibration began to return and actually got much worse than the factory rotors. I discovered that although the instructions dont mention it, the rotors are supposed to be mounted on a particular side. I switched them and checked for runout to see if they were warped. One side was off .002, and the other side .005, so they were not far from the tolerences. The vibration was reduced, and I hoped that by giving it time the pads would break in again. And so I stalled for the next 2000 miles.

TOday I took my car in to my friends shop, and they raised just the front, took off the wheels, and used spacers and wheel nuts to hold the rotor in place. Then they started the engine. You could see that when the EBC rotors were spinning, they were not round. Kind of oval. Both had this problem, but the passanger side was far worse.

So now I need to get more new brakes and rotors. I am torn between just getting factory type Wagner or trying a different brand hi performance.

What to do???