HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Rotor Choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Rotor Choices

I'm at 61k and have developed a light pedal vibration/steering wheel shudder under braking. Since my factory rotors went 60k without issues I'm hesitant to go aftermarket on the rotors and I'm considering just having mine turned. My father owns a NAPA so getting new rotors isn't an issue (not going through GM at $100 a pop).

Opinions on turning the factory rotors or getting dad to order me a set of NAPA premiums???
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM

At 61K, might want to see if there is enough left on them for a turn. Might make your decision that much simplier.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by solman98
At 61K, might want to see if there is enough left on them for a turn. Might make your decision that much simplier.
X 2, look before ya leap $$
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Rotors

Not a fan of turning rotors, your Dad should be able to obtain a very good trued rotor at a reasonable price. A thinner rotor may cause warping possibilities to increase.

Originally Posted by jonboyb
I'm at 61k and have developed a light pedal vibration/steering wheel shudder under braking. Since my factory rotors went 60k without issues I'm hesitant to go aftermarket on the rotors and I'm considering just having mine turned. My father owns a NAPA so getting new rotors isn't an issue (not going through GM at $100 a pop).

Opinions on turning the factory rotors or getting dad to order me a set of NAPA premiums???
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I did actually did have my OEM rotors turned at about 61K mi. when I first installed the ceramic pads up front. While I had no issues with warping and there was plenty of material for cleanup, the brakes had an annoying squeak as you came to a full stop.

That and the fact that they just started to look not as nearly as nice, with the rust and paint bubbling on them prompted my desicion to replace all 4 rotors with aftermarket drilled/slotted/plated rotors. The rears were always looking rusty and really had a grinding noise when the car had sat for a while. Got very tired of that for sure!

Very happy with my Ebay purchase so far, and no indication of any warpage or quality issues. Of course I'm very early in the life of these units and will track it closely... I figured they were pretty reasonable and worth giving it a shot. One slight differnce I noticed so far is the slots seem to give a very slight humming sound when lightly braking at between 30-35 mph. Not nearly as annoying as that squeak though!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM

I have no vibration with mine....3rd set of pads at 90k
Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 AM

floating rotors from John Powell , it will outlast your car ^_^
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM

I replaced my rotors with ATE PremiumOne rotors that I ordered through TireRack. Did this about two or three weeks ago and so far they are excellent rotors. I noticed that they were quite a bit heavier than stock and it seems like they are much higher quality. Time will tell though. I did have some shudder issues especially when braking downhill and a GM dealership machined the stock rotors at about 20,000km or so.

I'm expecting these rotors to last quite a while. My stock rotors went about 80,000km but were machined once.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I replaced my rotors with ATE PremiumOne rotors that I ordered through TireRack. Did this about two or three weeks ago and so far they are excellent rotors. I noticed that they were quite a bit heavier than stock and it seems like they are much higher quality. Time will tell though. I did have some shudder issues especially when braking downhill and a GM dealership machined the stock rotors at about 20,000km or so.

I'm expecting these rotors to last quite a while. My stock rotors went about 80,000km but were machined once.
Those are excellent rotors! I had them in my modified Neon and combined with OEM brake pads they were excellent in all types of weather. Unless the Tire Rack's added a new line, my only gripe is they don't offer rear rotors for the HHR SS.

Later
Allex
Old 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM

I went with a set of EBC dimpled and slotted when I bought a set of their ceramic pads. I don't really have any complaints, but I do have a little rotor shake after about 25,000 miles. If I had it to do again, I would probably buy the EBC pads, but just have the stock rotors turned and paint the veins and centers with some brake paint.

That is my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Rotor Choices