Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Shock/strut upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:04 AM

they might come out the same time you get a real car...

already in computer class huh?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 AM

I just noticed that the easystreet air ride kit has the same part number for an hhr, cobalt, and ion. Does this mean you could swap the aftermarket adjustable struts for the coalt onto the hhr?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 AM

possibly!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by -md- HHR
I just noticed that the easystreet air ride kit has the same part number for an hhr, cobalt, and ion. Does this mean you could swap the aftermarket adjustable struts for the coalt onto the hhr?
That's what I was wondering!?!?!? The HHR has so many x-ref'd parts to similar platform models that I was shocked to learn that shocks/struts WEREN'T swapable items!
I haven't had much time lately to check out the Ecotec forum, and know there are a couple HERE that are common there... so maybe they have better knowledge. As for me, I'd have to actually physically SEE the products for an accurate comparo (in my mind)... that is, until a manufacturer actually list's the part #'s as swapable. My initial thoughts are that mountings are different (thus resulting in a different travel than originally intended) .

Originally Posted by 06ChevyHHR
is there any aftermarket shocks available for the HHR yet?
Oh, and 06ChevyHHR... I have NO problems with you and your interests- BUT -
PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE RESPONDING!!!!... your asking the SAME question as the originator of this thread!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

The only thing I would worry about with Cobalt / Ion shocks and struts would be the weight difference of the HHR. The HHR is heavier correct?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SCOOT
IMO, new shocks (aftermarket units will ALWAYS be 100% better than OEM in my book!!!) will handle dampening and rebound better, and may also be adjustable (KYB units) to stiffen up the ride even more. Of course- this has nothing to do with compression, nor riding around with 4 people in the vehicle, although better/more efficient valving typically caters their products to the lowered vehicle masses.

We'll see... since there are none on the market, one can only guess. I've had GREAT results on my Mustang when I dropped and swapped the OEM units with KYB adjustables. Almost felt as smooth as a Caddy (well- not really).
Hey Scoot.....

Pretty general statement,..."aftermarket shocks will ALWAYS be 100% better....". While that is probably true for your shocks of choice, KYB (and Bilstein), it is not for some others. Several years ago a comparison was done on aftermarket "replacement" shocks like Gabriel, Monroe and several others. It was discovered that most did not meet compression rates (not sure if that is the correct term) or overall quality levels of the OEM. KYB, Bilstein, and a couple of other "specialty" shocks met or exceeded the requirements (particularly over a period of time).

Of course, that was several years ago, and it may have changed. But, my point is....you need to be careful, and selective, when purchasing any aftermarket part......because it fits, does not make it right.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 PM

Sorry scoot!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hey Scoot.....

Pretty general statement,..."aftermarket shocks will ALWAYS be 100% better....".
Good call... it was a general statement! Pretty vague at that.
I guess I should have stated something along the lines of what "I've used". Then again, I did say "IMO" (maybe it should've been "In My Experience"). Sure, OEM's do the job- but not for long (no longevity). And this is where the aftermarket shines- but I guess I'm only referring to 'high(er) end or specialty products' specifically designed for a particular product. In all honesty- I'm not familiar with your readings, but it sounds like a pretty interesting article!! The exact kind of information I like to absorb...

Disclaimer: I, as I'd assume 'most', have an 'obsessive disorder' that makes me try to purchase only THE BEST of anything for my money; well- within my means.
I know, I know- some people live beyond their means, my means might be low, and some really don't care... so
To sum it up- "Champaign taste on a beer budget!"
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 PM

Hey Mike, any new news? I gotta keep asking so this thread doesn't get buried. I'm in desperate need of new shocks / struts and don't want to replace stock for stock if they are going to go blow out in another 6 months.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Anything could happen in 6-months - but I'm afraid my crystal ball is in the shop right now!

Hang in there...

Quick Reply: Shock/strut upgrade