Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Some one has changed the intermediate shaft on his way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Some one has changed the intermediate shaft on his way?

Hi there guys. I´m experiencing the annoying and irritating noise of the steering wheel every time when I turn it when parked, similar like the issue that Capp002 has. I changed the sway bar bushings and links a time ago. Rid a little this issue, but now is more noticeable. Then, also according to a TSB, the issue and symptoms indicates that the intermediate shaft must be replaced. I don´t have the warranty, and I don´t want to bring it to the dealer (I thrust on GM, not on their dealers). Don´t forget that I live in México and it´s a nightmare if you bring your car to the dealer. Every issue that I´ve had on my HHR have been fixed by myself on my garage (believe it or not), then, I want to know if some guy from here has changed this or if there is a how-to. Maybe ChevyMgr could help me with his wisdom. I´ll appreciate any help or comment.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Turning your steering wheel while parked is a big no-no. Puts alot of pressure on all your front end components, including your rims.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler Harvey
Turning your steering wheel while parked is a big no-no. Puts alot of pressure on all your front end components, including your rims.
I know that... The issue that I´m having is a "clunk", that can be felt on the pedal area, and also If I´m driving at 10 mpg i.e. I can feel the same clunk....
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Here's a pic from the service manual.....

It's part number 2 in the diagram. Looks to pass through the firewall and I'm not sure what has to move out of the way nor if it comes out from the top or bottom. Other than the firewall boot there's only two bolts. Seems if you get right up to those U-joints while someone turns the wheel you would be able to tell if that's it making the clunk or not.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Mmmmhhh, just two screws... I suposse that first need to be removed the front and then the one inside the cab. Look pretty easy. Well, I´ll wait the part that I ordered and I´ll will tell you if I Had success.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Founding Member

Zago, It could be the I shaft, but it might be the steering column. Put your hand on the shaft (in a safe spot) and have someone turn the wheel to see if you feel what you are hearing.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send the instructions for the I shaft. Too long to post here.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Zago, It could be the I shaft, but it might be the steering column. Put your hand on the shaft (in a safe spot) and have someone turn the wheel to see if you feel what you are hearing.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send the instructions for the I shaft. Too long to post here.
I´ll do ChevyMgr. Let me try in that way. Thanks!