Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Strut nut rusted? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 PM

Strut nut rusted? Ideas?

I really want to get my new set of lowering springs on my HHR but the right front strut nut.....the one at the top seems rusted. I tried to break it loose from the top while everything was connected before I got started. I managed to get the left one to break loose, but the right one won't. The whole thing moves, the nut and the strut shaft?? (though it requires considerable force to do so)

Any ideas on how to combat this? Ive doused the thing in PB blaster and let it set, but to no avail. The impact gun I have isnt very powerful, and doesnt seem to do anything. The breaker bar just spins the whole setup. There doesnt appear to be a way to hold the strut shaft still while breaking the nut loose, unless I am missing something.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM

Maybe try heating it up then dousing it with the PB again. Works for me on stubborn bolts
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Ran into this once helping a guy change struts on a Gran Am...... I used a piece of leather and vice grips on the shaft and let it but up against the bench and was able to get the nut off...... didn't score the shaft either (struts were junk anyways so it wouldn't have mattered in that case) If you are keeping the struts this would be a last resort tactic....

Last edited by Greybeard999; 07-16-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM

The Official way is to get the "Special" tool that has a wrench inside a wrench. The other way is use a vice grip with padding to hold the shaft. the third way is to just use vice grip and replace the strut. If I remember correctly it's not just rust but, a crush nut.
Wait a minute! are you removing the strut from the car, without removing the mounting first? The top mount has 3 nuts, then use a spring compressor and unbolt the lower 2 from the control arm, after it's out use a bench vise to hold the assembly. Just to make sure you are not trying to kill yourself. You probably already know that.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 PM

heat it up and then press a candle to the threads...the wax will wick all the way thru
Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Wait a minute! are you removing the strut from the car, without removing the mounting first? The top mount has 3 nuts, then use a spring compressor and unbolt the lower 2 from the control arm, after it's out use a bench vise to hold the assembly. Just to make sure you are not trying to kill yourself. You probably already know that.

I am just trying to break the top nut loose. I dont want to get it all the way off the car and then discover the nut is frozen/rusted on there, because then I am stranded with no way to get anywhere. If I can move the nut even a quarter turn I will be happy....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The Official way is to get the "Special" tool that has a wrench inside a wrench.
I saw the torx fitting on the top of the strut and I figured there was something fancy that could be used. I may just take it in at this rate and have the pros do it....

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 07-17-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
heat it up and then press a candle to the threads...the wax will wick all the way thru
I am deeply intrigued..... I might try this just to see how it works....just gotta find one of those....whaddaya call 'em? "candles"?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 PM

You may be able to rent/borrow the tool from Autozone, or pepboys etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Does anyone know the name of the "special" tool need to get the strut off. I think its the thrust plate, but cant seem to get a torq wrench in there. Someone mentioned a wrench within a wrench? Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Strut nut rusted? Ideas?