Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Sub Sub on Bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:34 AM

Sub Sub on Bags

I'm sure many of you have already seen these pix posted by Mike from SoCalHHR's, but just the same I thought I'd post them myself since it is my HHR.

As you know SoCalHHR's has come out with an air bag kit specifically designed for the HHR. Let me tell you, it's an awsome kit. All of the components are first rate, they didn't skimp here. And the digital control is fantastic. Installation took my son and myself just over 7 hours, and this included stopping to read the basic instructions, jotting down notes specific to the HHR's installation and taking pictures. In my opinion, anyone having average mechanical skill can duplicate or better our installation time. For those of you with a lesser degree of mechanical skill but are handy with tools should be able to do this in a weekend with someone to help. One of the best things about this kit is all of it has been pre-wired making this a real plug-N-play kit.

When first installed the bags were quite a bit stiffer than the Goldline springs I had on the HHR, and that caused me some concern. But after allowing the bags some time to break in, the ride is getting sweeter all the time. Now it feels very similar to the springs (based on how much air you have in the bags). The 9 level adjustable shocks are real nice and as you play with the adjustments you will really notice a difference. For mine 60lb front at #2 setting on the struts and 45lb rear at #4 setting on the shocks gives me just the stance I like and a nice comfortable ride. Even the ride at speed bump height is quite reasonable, but if you bump the air up to around 100+lb be ready for your back teeth to rattle loose...LOL, and when you drop her down to park she'll let you know with an interesting jolt. My kit uses 1/2" air line, and because of this it moves air quickly, when you hit up or down it's almost instant, and it has a programmable ride height so returning it back to your preset is just a touch on a button.

Thanks again to Mike for letting Sub Sub be the test bed for this great product.

In the grass

Parked

Speed bumps don't scare me

Ride height
Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 AM
jx3

sweet!!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:52 AM

errr.Being poor is such a bummer..Looking good Dan.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:13 AM

WOW! Now that's something to think about, looks great and your comments are impressive! Very nice!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 AM

Looking good Dan, I'm vey envious right now!

Ng
Old 05-16-2006, 09:06 AM

Looks good Dan
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Not a fan of the bags, but glad you're enjoying them.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:13 AM

I knew I missed something speacial by not going up to Mims on Saturday... Congrats, Dan!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:23 AM

I am def gonna get a set of bags it looks SWEET congrats.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your comments (positive and negative). My original plans didn't include bagging the HHR and I was really happy with the Goldlines. But my driveway is really steep and I would scrape the mud flaps and front air dam coming onto or leaving it, so when Mike and I discussed the bags it just seemed like a way to kill a few birds with one stone so I jumped on it. Looking back I have absolutely no regrets. Now I get to ride at a height I like while at the same time clearing road obsticles such as speed bumps. The ride is nice and cornering is mush flatter on the bags than springs. And when some young kid in a ricer car pulls up next to me at a light and rev's his obnoxiously loud car, I just simply pop up the nose of the HHR and grin at him. Works every time...why...I haven't a clue. Some young sport compact guys told me it would quiet them down and it does. Something about a nose up attitude has something to do with respect.....don't ask me. I'm too old to understand.

Quick Reply: Sub Sub on Bags