Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension Noise After Drop

Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Suspension Noise After Drop

Ok, so I've really enjoyed my Canucks, but I've developed some noise under very tight turning...it almost sounds like grinding sound...like maybe something getting in a bind. It doesn't do it all the time, usually only when the car sits for a period of time and then I go to drive it again and only under very tight turn radius...also I don't feel any vibration in the steering wheel. I had it at the dealership on Tuesday for an oil change and they do the 28 point inspection. They checked my springs and struts for sure because the guy was bragging about how nice the ride was with the aftermarket springs. He mentioned that my struts and suspension all tested out and felt right. Any ideas on things to check?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Deceased

Turn your wheels to full lock both ways and check your inner fenders, I think what you're hearing is the tires rubbing. Even at the stock ride height, the tires come close to rubbing at full lock.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Turn your wheels to full lock both ways and check your inner fenders, I think what you're hearing is the tires rubbing. Even at the stock ride height, the tires come close to rubbing at full lock.
That makes since...I bet that's what it is. It doesn't make the noise unless I'm moving and turning sharp at the same time. Thanks Mike, your the man.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Deceased

All my inner fenders have rub marks where the tires hit, even though I'm still "riding high", the combination of full lock and the curb cut coming into the condos produces a "scronk" every time.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
All my inner fenders have rub marks where the tires hit, even though I'm still "riding high", the combination of full lock and the curb cut coming into the condos produces a "scronk" every time.
"Scronk" is the right noise. Mine goes more like "scronk, scronk, scronk".
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Nope, its something in the suspension...prodomintely from the drivers side and only does it when the car is cold. Once I get in and it does it once, it doesn't do it again. Almost sounds like something grinding...maybe coil bind?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM

I tracked my noise down....it started when I installed new springs.
I also installed new struts and all related parts (rubber parts and upper mounts).
MY noise is the stupid bearings. I had my daughter sit inside and turn lock-to-lock while I checked it out. I can actually SEE the spring (at the top) vibrate when turning.

I removed the strut and rotated the upper mount and the noise/vibration were still there.

I removed the upper mount and held the bearing in my hand and rotated it.....the noise was there. Plastic-on-plastic.

I put it all back together while I seek out better bearings.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM

I had a noise after installing Canuck Motorsport lowering springs when going over some bumps. It was spring slap. My mechanic removed the rear springs and you could see where the paint was wore where the coils were touching. I ordered Teins spring silencers which are plastics spacers which slide over the spring coils, about $14 a package. After installing all the noise was gone, very quiet now.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Putter
I tracked my noise down....it started when I installed new springs.
I also installed new struts and all related parts (rubber parts and upper mounts).
MY noise is the stupid bearings. I had my daughter sit inside and turn lock-to-lock while I checked it out. I can actually SEE the spring (at the top) vibrate when turning.

I removed the strut and rotated the upper mount and the noise/vibration were still there.

I removed the upper mount and held the bearing in my hand and rotated it.....the noise was there. Plastic-on-plastic.

I put it all back together while I seek out better bearings.
That sound like what mines doing...could you take a picture of what you are taking about and post? I'm not removing the strut again anytime soon...I'll just deal with the sound for now, but when I do, I'd like to know what I'm looking for.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GOLFHHR
I had a noise after installing Canuck Motorsport lowering springs when going over some bumps. It was spring slap. My mechanic removed the rear springs and you could see where the paint was wore where the coils were touching. I ordered Teins spring silencers which are plastics spacers which slide over the spring coils, about $14 a package. After installing all the noise was gone, very quiet now.
This is only coming from the front end and when I turn. Like I said, its kinda wonky because it doesn't do it everytime I turn. It's not annoying or anything...definitely can live with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Noise After Drop