Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

sway bar connecting rod bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 PM

sway bar connecting rod bolts

Okay… First of all, I did a search for this specific problem and didn't see anything.
I have an '08 LT with RPO FE1. Last year, it developed the characteristic clunk in the front end which was most noticeable when shifting the vehicle weight left and right at low speed. I replaced the connecting rods and a few weeks later, the clunk returned. It looks to me like the bolts holding the connecting rods (top and bottom) are too small for the holes and even with the nuts extremely tight, they eventually start to move up and down. It looks to me like the range of motion of the bolt in the hole is around 1/16 of an inch. I thought the hole had elongated due to wear, but it still looks circular. Has anybody else had this problem?
The replacement connecting rods came from AutoZone. I also looked at the Moog parts and the bolts are the same size.
Any ideas? I need something to make the bolt fit snuggly in the hole with movement.

thanks, Jimmy
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Technical Moderator

My guess is they sold you the wrong part. Check in here for correct part numbers: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/

Oh, the common name for the part is "sway bar end link".

Last edited by donbrew; 08-04-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Hello macarchie,

Can I be of any assistance? I understand that you are experiencing an issue where you are trying to resolve the issue yourself. One of your fellow forum members mentioned that it may be a wrong part that you were provided with. I would be happy to locate a part number for you. Could private message me your VIN and the part you are looking for the part number for?

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care