Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Swaybar installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 PM

Swaybar installed

Great speed, SoCal Mike. Received my bar today, and installed it in under 10 minutes without jacking the car or removing the wheels as the instructions suggest. Just on my back in my driveway. Great fit, feels nice. Surprised that it does not mount to chassis with bushings as typical swaybars do, but it makes the job that much simplier.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Glad you got it Lee! Having the bar ride up inside the torque tube makes the install a breeze! I'm loving mine. My HHR really "hugs" on the curves now...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:31 PM

And the stickers are cool. I have to plan where I am going to put them as I add parts. Wish the muffler had some.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
And the stickers are cool. I have to plan where I am going to put them as I add parts. Wish the muffler had some.
Did you use any other mechanical locking type device when mounting it?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:32 AM

I just ordered my sway bar this morning , and also the HHR brake light cover. I feel comfortable ordering parts from Mike at SoCalHHR because he take the time to check that the parts he sells actually fit and produce a real improvement. There are a lot of vendors out there that sell a part as soon as its available to make the quick $$ without any testing.

I have purchased many aftermarket parts for my previous vehicles, such as intakes, headers, exhaust, superchargers, etc. More often than not, the part didn't really fit as indicated and required "massaging" to fit. I bought a rear sway bar for my 94 Suburban from a well-known manufacturer, only to find the mounting brackets didn't fit. Apparently they assumed that since they tested it on a 1/2 ton Chevy truck, it would fit a 1/2 ton Suburban . After hours of mods and fabrication, I did get it to mount properly. Thanks, Mike, for testing the stuff yourself and saving us from doing the manufacturer's R&D work!

I'll be saving money for the next purchase, the intake kit.

Steve
Old 05-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
I just ordered my sway bar this morning , and also the HHR brake light cover. I feel comfortable ordering parts from Mike at SoCalHHR because he take the time to check that the parts he sells actually fit and produce a real improvement. There are a lot of vendors out there that sell a part as soon as its available to make the quick $$ without any testing.

I have purchased many aftermarket parts for my previous vehicles, such as intakes, headers, exhaust, superchargers, etc. More often than not, the part didn't really fit as indicated and required "massaging" to fit. I bought a rear sway bar for my 94 Suburban from a well-known manufacturer, only to find the mounting brackets didn't fit. Apparently they assumed that since they tested it on a 1/2 ton Chevy truck, it would fit a 1/2 ton Suburban . After hours of mods and fabrication, I did get it to mount properly. Thanks, Mike, for testing the stuff yourself and saving us from doing the manufacturer's R&D work!

I'll be saving money for the next purchase, the intake kit.

Steve
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/anti-sway-bars-934/
When it was already known the HHR didn't have a sway bar....
Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hvrod
Did you use any other mechanical locking type device when mounting it?
By mechanical, do you mean lock washers? It comes with flat washers. I just tightened the bolts a lot, then checked them twice after driving the car and snugged them down a bit more. It was a bit of a pain aligning the plate with the nuts on it, so now I plan on removing one bolt at a time (to keep the plate in place) and applying locktite (blue) to each bolt. Then I will torque them down as Mike suggests to 45 ft/lbs (the instructions dont specify to torque them down at all).

Finally I will apply the decals to the side windows
Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM

My instructions said to torque them to 45 ft/lbs. That was why it took me a little longer. I had finished and then decided to see what else was in the bag. Stickers, instructions...Oh wait, maybe I should READ the instructions....
Then I saw the torque spec and had to dig out the torque wrench and crawl back under the HHR.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 PM

Great. Now I have to go out in the rain and look at the instructions to see if I missed it. I could swear it didnt mention using a torque wrench, though.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:50 PM

Oh well, I reread the instructions and I guess I missed the part about torquing the bolts. Seems kind of unnecessary as long as they are very tight, though. But because I am anal, and have a brand new Craftman torque wrench I have not used yet, I will redo them (with locktite) over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Swaybar installed