Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

TCE Plus-2 Brake Package for the SS! (56K WARNING!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 PM

yeah guys, that Wilwood combo caliper...i looked it up in the price catalog on Wilwood's site, as well as the DP6 calipers, and one combo caliper costs almost as much as both DP6 calipers. granted, i will eventually end up with that caliper out back, but for the time being, i'm going t get a caliper paint kit, black out the rear caliper, and eventually buy the relocation kit from Todd. to get an idea of what i'm talking about, go to his site and look at the Mini stuff. Todd and i have discussed this, and we will be getting something like this together eventually, once i get more money lol.

on another note, after driving around with these brakes, i gotta say, the pedal feels almost the same as when it was stock, but holy smokes does it stop FAST when you need it to! and in the looks department, i've got my buddy with a 2004 WRX STi jealous of my brakes. he's jealous of my 2 extra pistons over his Brembos, he's jealous of the black calipers, and of the 2-piece rotor. these are gorgeous!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

What really kicks your butt on the combo caliper is not only the cost but the requirement for a radial mount bracket. For those new; a radial mount is one of those zoomy loking aluminum mounts with studs in it to retain the caliper. The issue is design and production cost. Working with my own software I can do up a steel mount for my waterjet shop in a matte of minutes and get very cost effective parts or make changes easily and such. The same is not true of the CNC work for the radial mount. This really takes some trial and error as well as far greater production costs.

When I began the MINI rear I was skeptical that we'd sell many. After about two years now I think we've move about 20 kits. And honestly; that's not bad for what it is. I'm a bit more hesitant on the HHR to see us get that far. A minimal run of 5pr of brackets to capitalize on the run costs leaves me with a lot of money on the shelf with only one kit sale.

For the more hard core guys (and I suspect that may be more the Cobalt crowd looking for open track use) the rear kit also does nothing really for performance gains over just using the oem caliper on a relocation bracket. The combo remains a single piston floater- just what you have now. The gains are from the larger more effective rotor. I'd be lying if I told it was anything but about 90% form over function. But for those looking to "pull it all together" it remains must have I'm sure.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 PM

The rear kit is most wanted for those of us that have "regular" HHRs as an alternative to swapping out the rear axle assy. like hvrod did just to gain "factory" non-ventilated rear discs. Should be more cost effective and easier to accomplish also.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Interesting thought.

The basis for my comments is on the SS and not the non-SS/na car etc. etc.

The only issue here is working around the required mounts and the balance to the fronts. I suspect I can work with that. What I cannot is the required change to any p-brake cables other than to refer you to a supplier.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 AM

Just Curious, Is the Rear Kit Plus 2 an offering that is currently available? If not when might we expect availability? Also does anyone know if "ALL" Rear HHR Axles are basically the same (LS, LT and SS)? If you were to remove the Factory Drum Brake setup would the Factory SS Brakes or TCE's Rear Kit Plus 2 bolt up?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 AM

HHR SS and Cobalt SS rear axles are the same, and the only ones that will accept disc calipers. Our "regular" HHR axle will require an adapter to mount calipers. See this thread about hvrod's panel conversion: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/first-all-disc-panel-ss-material-10886/
Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Let me try to address both of the above posts in one reply.

No, currently I have no Plus 2 rear kits with this combo caliper in the works.

In fact if not for the interest of two forum members stepping up to help promote the front kits more and expressing an interest in doing a Plus 1 rotor kit I'm not sure we'll ever see the Plus 2 kit. It'll probably be Chris who pushes me to finalize a rotor kit first and them perhaps the caliper kit for this later.

Shawn's car on the other hand being a non-SS model presents the same problems mentioned; it's not currently disc so the conversion is more complicated and probably costly.

That being said however....I don't believe there's a requirement to change the whole rear end to do this on a non-SS model car either. I'm reasonably confident that I can accomplish this with what you have now in removing the drum parts and building upon that. Nevertheless I'll need a willing subject to work with for it as well. The only kicker here that will remain unknown is the requirement for custom e-brake cables. Something I'm not supplying, only referring to a company who handles it.

I'm trying to be polite about it but with a total of three 13" kits in service now and all three at discounted prices it's still a business issue here. If we cannot sell front kits at a profit there's little interest in rear kit r&d investment also. After 15yrs I don't subscribe to the notion that "I would buy your front kit if you offered a rear kit". It's just not true. If the market struggles to support a $1500 front kit then it's not going to suddenly support a near $3k four wheel package. I also still have the low cost 12.2 "budget" kit that I think has great promise here. Interestingly that one isn't getting much inquest.

If someone in the Phoenix area wants to drop by with a non-SS so we can do some look-see on things that would be cool. More info the better!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 PM

hvrod did a bolt-on conversion to his sandstone 06 here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=rear+discs

Can be done, just seems like there isn't much of a market, as you say Todd.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM

I saw the brembos on a Cobalt SS Sunday night, and I will definitely be going for the TCE setup.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 PM

Got any more pics? Whole car, things like that.

Quick Reply: TCE Plus-2 Brake Package for the SS! (56K WARNING!)