Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Torque steer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM

Torque steer

I have a 2009 SS panel with 6k a 5 speed and turbo upgrade. I'm experiencing some torque steer on heavy acceleration. I realize it's normal for front wheel drive vehicles but I'd like to try and minimize it as much as possible. Does anyone know of any half-shaft modification kits available for the HHR front axles with a 2.0 liter engine?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM

It can be a real bear to control even with modest throttle input!...putting it in Competition Mode makes mine go straight..
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM

On your next occasion to check tq steer,, puch the TC button for 10 sec till the ESC OFF light comes on and try to tq steer it again......bet it doesn't
What I found is on occasion the car will actually try to seesaw ( or pull hard in the opposite direction I want to go) back and forth because the computer is trying to correct a spinning condition thus it modulates left and right trying to keep it straight....theres a small bit of a learning curve with these cars
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 AM

One of the things you'll notice(under hard acceleration) is the right front dips and that sudden weight transfer will cause the car to go in that direction just like a low air pressure tire will. I feel that with adjustable struts and shocks you will be able to "dial" out the sudden compression experienced with those hard throttle on moments. In a few days I'll be able prove/disprove my theories.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM

Hmmm.... first time I jumped out to pass someone I had that eye opener..the car wanted to go right instead of left, pulling hard the whole way...I don't notice it now, but then after 26k I adapted...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Hmmm.... first time I jumped out to pass someone I had that eye opener..the car wanted to go right instead of left, pulling hard the whole way...I don't notice it now, but then after 26k I adapted...
LOL! I found that on on my first test drive of a 5 spd SS. Since the boost is somewhat held back at heavy throttle, when I dropped it to 3rd and nailed it I got the shock of my life while the wife in the front seat and salesman in the back sucked most of the upholstery up their a......

It's about a 9 on the 0-10 scale of pucker factor. They must apply some brakes in comp mode because the torque steer really drops.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
RFT

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
On your next occasion to check tq steer,, puch the TC button for 10 sec till the ESC OFF light comes on and try to tq steer it again......bet it doesn't
What I found is on occasion the car will actually try to seesaw ( or pull hard in the opposite direction I want to go) back and forth because the computer is trying to correct a spinning condition thus it modulates left and right trying to keep it straight....theres a small bit of a learning curve with these cars
I agree with what he says above as I've noticed it with my own buttyroscope. When ESC is turned off, I have not noticed any torque steer at all. Just make sure you're on a level, smooth road and you probably won't feel the wheel turn.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Question

I don't get it, why does comp mode on or ESC off reduce the torque steer? If it does they must be applying brakes to one wheel reducing power to the ground (or at least adding drag to one wheel).

Or am I all wet.....
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RFT
I agree with what he says above as I've noticed it with my own buttyroscope. When ESC is turned off, I have not noticed any torque steer at all. Just make sure you're on a level, smooth road and you probably won't feel the wheel turn.
Same here , ESC off = No torque steer.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Alot of the percieved tq steer is actually the ESC/TC applying brakes to one side or the other to control differential wheel spin( thus the alternating side to side feel)...OR..its reducing power overall to accomplish the same thing....once turned off your getting full unadulterated honesttogod big boy turbo power to the wheels....this is where you better make sure your seat belts are on

Quick Reply: Torque steer